HybridZ

L28et auto swapped onto a 5 speed??

Lou

Hello to all!!

I'm new to this forum and I had a question for you guys. I've been thinking about purchasing and L28 turbo motor for my 78 280z. I was wondering what challenges I might have taking the turbo motor from an auto 82 280zx and bolting it up to my 5 speed transmission?

Has anyone done this before?? I've tried the search but didn't have any luck!!

i just did the same swap but from an '81 to a '76 be sure to take off both small circular rings behind the crank like he just said and the flexplate.. thats about it.. you can use all of your stock 280z clutch and flywheel parts but i suggest upgrading it all at once.. but if you go with a thinner, more lightweight flywheel, you might have to buy a door hinge pin and shorten it to fit on your slave cylinder to get things to work properly.. otherwise its pretty straight forward

• 1 month later...

I know I"m asking a stupid question, but I'm doing the same swap and hate to have to pull it all back out because I didn't ask. What exactly is the flex plate? I found and removed the spacer at the end of the crank, got the correct bobbin/throwout bearing assy, turbo flywheel and cluch, but what is this flex plate you speak of? Also, will my non-turbo 5sp live a happy life behind a 14psi L28ET engine?

it will if your nice too it....most trannys will hold alot but it all depends on how people drive them....just remember that and you tranny will last accordingly and 14 psi would only be about 250hp on stock turbo so itll handle that easily....now 14 on a gt35r would be more likee 350+ which then you might have some issues but there is always the z32 swap thats in the group buy forum

I know I"m asking a stupid question, but I'm doing the same swap and hate to have to pull it all back out because I didn't ask. What exactly is the flex plate?

The flex plate is basically a 'flywheel' for an automatic transmission. It's what the starter engages to in order to start the engine; the big disc with holes in it...

Davy

Thanks for the info!! Love this site and I'm glad to know there are others out there besides myself that are "tearing down and rebuilding old cars", as my neighbor puts it. She can't understand why I spend all my time working on this one instead of "buying a new one". The recent purchase of a parts car has got her scratching her head more than usual...

Pffttt....

Thanks again all!