HybridZ

T5 Shifter choice? Hmmmm.

DavyZ

OK, very unexpectedly, I now have a very nice WC T5 for my Z from a 90's Camaro with low mileage, I was wondering if anyone has some ideas on what aftermarket shifters would be the best? Heard anything good, bad, ugly about any brands in particular? Anything to stay away from? icon_confused.gif

I have thought about the Pro 5.0 shifters that a few Mustangs use (make 'em for Camaros now), but I have not read up on these things, so I'm putting this thread out there if any of you have an opinion. It may be a little while before I purchase one of these thingies, but I want to educate myself at the feet of your ultimate wisdom...ooops, wrong forum...so let's hear it! icon_smile.gif

I am also going to use the counter-gear stabilizer that Mike C posted about from gearzone.com--looks like a winner and preventative maintenance fer sure; thanks Mike C icon_smile.gif

Thanks guys,

Davy

[ August 19, 2001: Message edited by: DavyZ ]

Supposedly, the Pro-5.0 is the one to have for drag racing - it has a heavy centering spring for the 2nd to 3rd shift. I have one for my Tremec and it seems nice, but no miles on it yet ;(.

There's also one by Steeda as well, some say just as nice. Do a web searc hand you'll find lots of info on the Mustang boards and sites on this.

My only question about these shifters is whether the centering spring would make the 3rd to 2nd shift too stiff for everyday use.

The Pro-5.0 that I have has short compression springs that center the shifter in the gate. I am considering some custom springs if these are too stiff. Already measured the coil diameter and wire gage icon_wink.gif.

i've got the PRO 5.0 and so far i like it.. i will NOT drag race the convertible...

it seems pretty smooth and definitley positive shifting - i havent noticed the springs being too stiff for street use, but only driven it for 5-6 days so far.

got it online for $155 new,

the steeda was my other option but it came down to price and the steeda i couldnt find for the same or less than the pro

Drax: I know, I know, I know...I'm not even an inliner anymore! icon_biggrin.gif That will be remedied by the end of the year or much sooner I hope.

Thanks for the replys on the Pro 5.0. icon_smile.gif I'm just wondering if there are any to stay away from...like some of the discussions regarding the automatic shifters (I know, different animal) I wanted to "protect" myself from making an unnecessary mistake. I'll do more research on the ones offered by Hurst, B&M, Steeda, etc. Remember that this is a GM unit.

Davy