HybridZ

Blow through setup.

I come from the world of VW beetles. (the old ones). In this world it was common to have double downdraft 48 webbers on a 2.8L flat four, with adapters on top of the carbs (we called em "pressure hats") to allow them to be boosted by a turbo. Is there any reason that this same setup would not work with three sidedraft 44 webbers and one long common "pressure hat"? The reason I like this idea is 1) I prefer carbs to EFI, 2) it would allow me to get my carbs now and drive it with just that, and then later when i get more money, start piecing together a turbo system, bolt it on, and only have to do a few tweaks.

oh and one more thing from the bug world... check out this site for fuel injection setups that are based on the typical dual choke webber carb. TBI, turbos, etc. Basically buy em off the shelf Individual throttle bodies and TBI... cool huh...

http://cbperformance.com/category.asp?categoryid=5

So buy three of these below, bolt em up to a standard tripple webber manifold, hook up the injector wires. Could probably even use stock computer... but why would you :wink:

7098.jpg

http://cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=412 Page where those are.

If you search, You will find a fair number of threads about blow through setups, but here is one right off the bat: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=127595&highlight=HKS+plenum (mostly because it was bookmarked). IIRC, the majority of the side draft carbs on L series engines don't have to be completely enclosed, they just have to have the fuel bowl pressurized and the float swapped out.

Same path I tread. I always asked myself why the Datsun crowd never heard of 'modulator rings' or knew of the Dellorto Turbo-Specific DHLA's from the Maserati BiTurbo...

My VW Training came in handy years later on the Datsun...

That being said, the VW has a nice long separation between intake manifold and carb, and no hot manifold and turbo underneath to cook the carbs. Your best bet is Mikuinis with cooling bodies for a turbo application, heavily heat shielded.

For the cost of that setup, you can get used ITB's and EFI that will run better than any Carb Blow Though ever did.

Even CB and Gene Berg realized that years ago and started selling EFI for street applications. Especially with the turbo setups!