HybridZ

my new euro tail lights

Actually there IS more different than the Amber signal section. Depending on if they were from the JDM or European market, there are other 'parking lights' in the back of the assembly that are not on our cars. Regulations in Japan (and California, interestingly) that require vehicles parked upon the roadway to illuminate the lights on the side of the vehicle nearest traffic...and since they can park facing or with traffic, one side or another is all that is required to be lit.

This is why the center console on the S30's have those extra holes that are covered over/plugged. There were light switches in there for Japan that allowed you to light the 'parking lamps' on either the right or left side independently of the combination switch position.

They are very dim in comparison, like a 3watt or 5 watt bulb in each turn signal assembly. But you can leave those on for HOURS with those little dinky lawnmower batteries these cars came with in the JDM and not drain that battery significantly.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually there IS more different than the Amber signal section. Depending on if they were from the JDM or European market, there are other 'parking lights' in the back of the assembly that are not on our cars. Regulations in Japan (and California, interestingly) that require vehicles parked upon the roadway to illuminate the lights on the side of the vehicle nearest traffic...and since they can park facing or with traffic, one side or another is all that is required to be lit.

This is why the center console on the S30's have those extra holes that are covered over/plugged. There were light switches in there for Japan that allowed you to light the 'parking lamps' on either the right or left side independently of the combination switch position.

They are very dim in comparison, like a 3watt or 5 watt bulb in each turn signal assembly. But you can leave those on for HOURS with those little dinky lawnmower batteries these cars came with in the JDM and not drain that battery significantly.

Teach! Great info Tony, learned something else from one of your post. Thanks.

Check out Datman's E-Bay auction and in-between the upper lenses on the back of the assembly you can see EXACTLY the place where the JDM parking light bulb goes.

On the Eurospec and US Spec light assemblies, they have a round plastic plug in there, and there is no accompanying wiring harness and bulb connector (though in the S30's they do have the wiring in the main harness for some reason...same with the 'Flash to Pass' feature in the 240's...)

There is something wrong with the eBay bidding function..

It won't let me input my bid in increments of USDM tail light assemblies! :(

'Flash to Pass' feature in the 240's...

..oh great Tony. You are telling me that some of our Z's actually came with a proper high beam switch!???? So now, instead of finding a way to engineer one into my car, I get to hunt ALL over the internet searching for how it was done on these few magical cars that came with it!

Next thing you know, you're gonna be telling me that variable speed intermittent wipers, and a "single shot" pulse of the wipers for light mist, was ALSO set up on like, 6-10 JDM cars so I get to go off on a wild goose chase for THAT obscure, all but impossible to find info...

..oh great Tony. You are telling me that some of our Z's actually came with a proper high beam switch!???? So now, instead of finding a way to engineer one into my car, I get to hunt ALL over the internet searching for how it was done on these few magical cars that came with it!

I have one of them...I took the stalk and steering column out of my Fairlady on Okinawa. As well as the wiring harness. Much to my surprise when I went to install it, thinking I'd have to put the wiring harness in as well, the wiring was already resident in the vehicle's main body harness.

All I did was swap in the combo switch / ignition assembly and they started flashing just like on the other car. So my assumption was that the relays were identical as well.

There are three sockets in the high/low beam stalk assembly. On US cars, only two of them have wires going to them. But notice on the body harness...there are three plugs in there!

That third plug? Simple wire to the button in the end of the stalk for a ground as far as I can tell. Basically a 'manual' way to 'flick the stalk' to the other position for a brief second for the 'flash to pass' feature.

At least that's the way it worked out on my car...:-D

As for rephrasing my statement. Er.....which one? Specificity is the soul of understanding.

You mean about the 'flash to pass' capability, and not the presence of the smaller parking light bulb holes in the tail light assemblies then, I assume.

Yes, you were saying the wiring in our USDM cars can accpect the stalk of the push to flash function. I would like to adapt one to my car as well just need to find one.

Far as I know, all you need do is ground that third prong in the connector and you're golden. Pretty easy check. I know it worked on my 71, so...

The later FairladyZ's had the 'correct' style stalk and retrofitting it is a roll pin away.

Now finding one of those assemblies....

You may want to simply find another similarly configured stalk off another model car, and retrofit that instead.

I still shake my head when I think I gave away four 76-77 Fairlady Z combination switch assemblies to other guys who had failures on cars they shipped from Japan (and Stealth Z knows where one of them went---not to him, but someone he knows!)

If only I had been more selfish. That's it...more selfish!!!

LOL

David sorry for the taking the thread over but I think all Euro info here would be nice:

I believe the white wire is that ground wire Tony is speaking of that runs down the middle of the stalk:

Ebay_198.jpg

Pic of the harness itself:

Ebay_199.jpg

Here are the lights I have of my parts car, Lenses are in great shape but the chrome is not so good....I guess you could get this plated or replace with a US spec light chrome section.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270253073034

I reeeeally want to bid on this... but I know everyone and their dog is watching the sale..........

As soon as somebody starts bidding, it's gonna jump up to $100+

Oh, apparently the later or Euro Stalks are different than the JDM stuff.

Mine doesn't say 'Pass' on it.

That's neat. Now I must posess one of those as well...my precious...must have my precious....

Oh, apparently the later or Euro Stalks are different than the JDM stuff.

Mine doesn't say 'Pass' on it.

That's neat. Now I must posess one of those as well...my precious...must have my precious....

I think you might be stuck using one that says SSVd Tony....

Ebay_198.jpg