HybridZ

Kind of a cool twist on speedometers (GPS type)

hughdogz

I find my dad's Garmin Colorado very accurate and adjusts quickly. It reads out speeds just like a speedometer would in a car. I just have to be sure to delete the top speed recording anytime I use it. :)

If it's anything like the GPS units in the Cessna's I fly..

there is a big time delay. If you go 40 mph and slam the brakes to a dead stop it would still say your going 40mph for a few more seconds lol

Is that when you step on the brakes in the airplane? :) I got to fly a few times when I was in Civil Air Patrol and as another cadet was getting ready to fly he asked, "wheres the brakes?" I really wanted to get out...

Planes *do* have brakes.

How else do they stop on the ground, like on the apron, taxi- or runways?

You usually step on the tops of both of the rudder pedals, and they hinge backwards to actuate the brakes. They are rarely used immediately on landing to slow down though. That might burn them out. That's when air-brakes, or reversible-pitch props are used to sorta "engine brake". Nuff said.

LoL.. im just using that as an example.

Yes airplanes have brakes.

I've just noticed when I do sudden changes in throttle or altitude the reading on my airspeed indicator and GPS are delayed by about 2 seconds or so. This is with a King GPS

Yeah ground brakes, not in the air, "hey we better stop for a sec, hit the brakes". :-D which was what my fellow cadet thought..

LoL.. mass confusion.. look what I've started..

let me specify.. airplanes have disc brakes.. complete with a caliper and all.

you can get technical and talk about air brakes and spoilers and flaps to slow the airplane down.. but thats a new thread lol

I'd be interested in trying out this new speedometer! maybe it's a much quicker/accurate device then what is in my putt putt propeller driven device.

Sorry I didn't mean to put the brakes on this thread :-D:wink::lol::cry2:

Most mapping GPS's have a speed readout. I would imagine that this speedometer would work at least as well as those. It will lose signal in tunnels and under steel bridges.

One question I have always had about GPS speedometers is this: Do they calculate speed on a horizontal plane only, or do they use trig to calculate your true vector speed on climbs and decents. If they are not using trig, they are not accurate on anything but a level surface.

One question I have always had about GPS speedometers is this: Do they calculate speed on a horizontal plane only, or do they use trig to calculate your true vector speed on climbs and decents. If they are not using trig, they are not accurate on anything but a level surface.

They triangulate in three planes. Accuracy depends on the number of satellites they are tracking and their location in the sky. The better the angle the lower the cosine error.

Here in the California Delta, living so close to (or even below) sea level, we are very aware of altitude. I've noticed that sometimes I get very accurate altitude readings and other times they are way off. Getting a strong tracking signal is only part of the accuracy formula.

I've been using a GPS speedo in my Z for years now. It's a cheap Garmin hand held unit. I just recently bought a complete set of Autometer gauges to replace my "high tech" speedo.