HybridZ

HELP! on pinion flange adapter.

MikeS

I bought a 81 turbo zx r200 with cv shafts for $100.00 to replace a r180 in my 240z. The JTR adapter that works on the r180 will not fit on the r200 diff. The pinion spline is larger on the r200, and the flange pilot is 2 inches instead of 2.25 inches on the r180. I did a search in drivetrain area without finding any help. Anyone know of an adapter that will work? Or what about machining the JTR adapter to fit?

Thanks for your help

I have found that there are at least two different pilot flanges for the R200. One uses 8mm bolts and the other uses 10mm bolts. I found this out one day when I had two R200s side by side. The adapter I made (non-JTR) uses the 8mm holes and I had to swap the flange from one differential to the other, to still use my adapter. There may be other differences that I don't know about here, but I'm guessing the "pattern" is the same, just different sized holes.

I hope I am correct here, but I believe Datsun used a crush sleeve on their pinion. If this is true, the truely correct way of swapping flanges is to replace the crush sleeve at the same time, BUT, with that said, I simple swapped the flange and as you said, made sure there was a correct amount of torque applied to the nut. Do not apply any more than the specified amount. I have had no problem doing this with many miles put on the 3 rear ends I did this with. Can anybody else verify this?

I checked my JTR book. They say to switch the pinion 2 inch flange with the 2.25, but they do not say anything about the larger spline diameter that i have on my diff.They only offer one adapter in my book seventh printing June of 1998.I will give them a call on Tuesday to see if they have another adapter.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

MIKE

There's a crush sleeve (seen it in the manuals) and I've been warned by one person to not just swap flanges. But for the labor costs involved in having a shop tear it down, I decided to do what blueovalZ said.

I also have a 2 inch pilot on my flange. I had an adapter made up from a trans slip yoke and a flat plate of steel.

I guess I got lucky for once. The LSD R200 I received froma 300ZX accepted the JTR specc'ed Neapco piece just fine. A friend who does gear changes often swapped the adapter over for me and installed all new seals. We didn't put in a new crush sleeve if they've got one and so far I've been happy to hear no whining. Perhaps when the car has been quieted down I'll hear more but it seems solid. He says these suckers have the longest pinion gear he's ever seen icon_smile.gif

!!!!!!!!!!!!HOLD IT!!!!!!!

I think I may have mislead folks here!! I had to have a 280ZX snout put on that 300ZX R200. I just remembered this - this is why my friend had to pull it apart for me. Once that was done the Neapco part fit perfectly. I still have the 300ZX part sitting on my bench if a pic of it would be helpful. I'm sorry I neglected this bit of important info in my first posting about his. Out of the box the 300ZX pinion flange does NOT fit the Neapco adapter!!!!

[ September 04, 2001: Message edited by: BLKMGK ]

Wow. This issue of 2.0 vs. 2.25 is good to hear about before I blow money on an adapter.

So, the Neapco part is only good for the ZX diff then, eh?

I think I may be about to reveal some serious ignorance here: when I put the 200SX 4.11 R200 in my car, I had to use the pinion flange from the 3.54 R200 that I got off my old 75 280Z parts car because the 200SX pinion flange had the wrong bolt pattern (square not rectangular). I did not check anything out as far as diameters or crush sleaves or anything. I simply took removed the nuts from both diffs, and swapped the flanges icon_confused.gif.

If the 200SX flange was the incorrect diameter, would I have even been able to put it on at all? IOWs, did I make a big boo-boo? Everything's been working fine - no noise or leaks or anything...

If I did not screw up, then I will need the 2.0 inch flange. Actually, I will need it regardless because I don't think this 4.11 is gonna be an acceptable ratio for the 4L60E A4 that I'll be using with this LS1 - I'm gonna need to use that 3.54.

I suppose I could do Pete's trick - an old yoke should be easy and cheap enough to get ($5 from a PickNPull I'd guess). I'd have to get my welder friend to weld it up nice and centered for me.