HybridZ

Removing CV halfshafts from R200

TimZ

Okay, I'm at my wit's end, here...

I KNOW this must have been posted before, but I couldn't find an answer for this specific problem.

I need to pull my diff, and I'm down to the point where I need to get the halfshafts out. With the u-jointed shafts, I knew how to do this, but the only place that I can see to pry on the cv shafts is made of SHEET METAL icon_eek.gif . I already bent the crap out of one of them, thinking that Nissan couldn't have been that dumb, and must have made that surface so that it could be pryed on.

NOT. icon_mad.gif

How do you guys go about removing these things? I'm down to pulling the a-arms, and dropping the whole assembly. But even then, I don't see how to get these things out without messing them up.

Grab the shaft, brace yourself, and yank like hell. There's a cir-clip holding it in place. It rides in a slot radiused around the input part of the enner CV. When installed, it compresses a bit until it finds its home in the diff where it snaps back to its full radius, locking the shaft in place. So, to get it out, you have to yank hard enough so that clip gets compressed again.

It does sometimes seem to require a ridiculous amount of force. You want lots of A though, and not much of the M in that f=ma equation.

I have had success in prying in just the right way against that dust shield (that sheet metal you commented on) with a wide, flat pry bar. You have to be very careful though - I don't know how one would replace a damaged dust seal. And that's provided you could even find one.

if you can get a rubber mallet on any part of the shaft in the direction it needs to go ... this will usually get it out. if your taking the diff out you may want to get the entire assembly out on the ground much easier to work on that way.

Thanks, guys. It looks like that's what I'll do. I was hoping to be able to remove the halfshafts before dropping the diff, but I don't see any way to get any tools in with the proper leverage to do this.

Looks like I'm stuck with removing the a-arms and then dropping the whole assembly. Then I can get to it to remove the shafts properly.

I've replaced the boots on these shafts (cv jointed ones that is) and the ends of the grooves that the sperical bearings ride in are as tough as the sides of the grooves. The only concern with yanking on them would be the shaft coming loose at the point where it is peened at the splines, and even then it was a tight fit even for a press to push out.

I used a tie rod removal tool to pop out the shafts - very easy job for a change. At that time I did not have a big screwdriver so I improvised with the tie rod tool, and it might be a better choice if you own one. I did exactly what everyone else has by using the case to pop them out. With the TR tool because its flared along its edge it fit very snug between the two pieces and you have a lot of leverage. I was careful not to crush the dust cover on the diff and I rotated the shaft so that I was resting on one of the studs of the half shaft. With a quick push on the wedged bar one side popped (You've Got POP - too much TNN). The other side came out much easier for some reason.

Danno74Z

[ September 08, 2001: Message edited by: Danno74Z ]