HybridZ

My $100 HID conversion

streeteg

VME HID kit:$70 shipped

Ebay Projectors: 25 shipped

Random Wiring $5

Well, the HIDs emit a wonderful light. THe kid comes with two bulbs so I still have high and low beams which is great. On the other hand the projectors SUCK. They are not even real projectors. ITs just a piece that looks like a projector in front of the bulb. There is no cutoff and the beam pattern is harsh. Retrofit is necessary however there is no way in hell I am paying 760 for the bolt in 7" projectors that are linked in some of the other lighting threads. Here is a quick camera phone pic... full shoot and comparison is on the way.

hid.jpg

More pics of the car? Seems like alot of bodywork... Can you use any lamps? I'm planning on using circular lights with an integrated turn signal... could i upgrade those to hid? I was just going to put an ultra white or xenon bulb in them....

The headlamps did have integrated turn signals... a huge plus for me because I do have a lot of body work (and no front signal) however for the life of me i cant get them to blink even when wired correctly. Its annoying..

THe ballasts are mounted on the framerails inside the bay and the wires are through the wheel well. Very simple install actually. Like I said I will get full pics when I am home again.

-E

The headlamps did have integrated turn signals... a huge plus for me because I do have a lot of body work (and no front signal) however for the life of me i cant get them to blink even when wired correctly. Its annoying..

THe ballasts are mounted on the framerails inside the bay and the wires are through the wheel well. Very simple install actually. Like I said I will get full pics when I am home again.

-E

Any pictures of the car? So did you get the super slim ballast? I found a super slim ballast and it looks really easy to mount noting it is the size of about 4 AA batterys. I was planning on doing the HID with the integrated turn signal as well...

Ill take pictures of the headlight and compare it to the old one when I get back up to jersey this holiday weekend. You will see what I am talking about with the headlight/projector. The ebay headlights DEFINATELY need a retrofit... and ill show you why. stay tuned!

-E

Alright so your saying the ebay hid conversions arent as easy to put on a s30 z? But do they work? This is interesting...

Take some pics of the rest of the car! I want to see the body work youve done...

The HID conversion was extremely easy to put in. IF you dont retrofit. The beam pattern sucks though. More pics and info on Monday I PROMISE!

-Eric

They are just standard 7" replacements that I grabbed off ebay that fit in the stock cradle. I have to replace a bulb because I stripped the wire by accident for the non HID bulb so I will take good pictures of everything then.

-E

OK so it apparently doesnt let you edit posts on Hybrid... my bad... Here are some updated pictures

This is the replacement headlight in the housing...Dont judge the fitment so much these fit just as the stockers did--- just some imperfection in the body work. Also the body work deleted the front turn signal so I have the LED wired to work with the signals in the car (from a custom dash to a custom taillight panel.

hid1.JPG

Here is a close up of the "projector". As you can see its an unenclosed housing that still allows the light to be reflected off the rest of the light thus emitting light everywhere. However if baked and taken apart is a great start to a retrofit... which is the next step. I retained both the HID bulb and the stock bulb for police/inspection purposes and HID is "for off road purposes only" and on a separate switch.

hid2.JPG

For the money I just cant beat what I put together here, and a retrofit is going to cost me but another 100 bucks if I can work a junkyard properly.

Here is the link to the headlights, and I am sure any Ebay HID kit will work. I did go to autozone and replace the bulb in the "city light" with an amber bulb from autozone.