HybridZ

My first Z...erm Z's.

EverRude

Long story short. I've always wanted a Z. 240 was preferable but hard to come by around here not costing alot or too rusted to bother with. I recently sold my "beater" 87 Fiero GT and thought it was time to see about a Z.

I got lucky. Just a few miles away a guy had 2 sitting near the road. No for sale sign or anything but I stopped to ask. He said he was selling them and had planned to put out an Ad next week. I took a look. Eh. A bit rusty and beat but not totally shot. Mostly all there and mostly all original. Two Z's. 1975 with a 5 speed from somewhere. And a 1981 Turbo automatic. Both rough repairable.

I ended up buying them both for $650.

The 75 has a bottom end knock. But the owner claimed the 81 had a smooth running motor he drove till a full pump shut it down. It certainly was clean. My intention is to swap the 81 motor into the 75. Also I plan to swap wheels and tires from 81 to 75. Rearend maybe too?

My questions are. How difficult is it to dothe motor swap with the Turbo compared to without the turbo? Is the automatic motor to manual car going to add any problems? Like balance issues with flywheels / dampers... whatnot.

Oh and here's some pics. More to come when I actually get the cars home. It was about to start raining and I needed to get home before the wife caught me :P

75001.jpg

75002.jpg

75003.jpg

81001.jpg

81002.jpg

Been searching here and on the net. Some nice write ups via Google for some guys have done a simular swap as well. I just haven't seen a mention about the balance issue. Probably because there isn't one. Please keep in mind I've always run V8's. Ford V8's.

Just want to make sure I can simply swap the flexplate/clutch assembly from the L28E and bolt to the L28ET without worrying about balance.(assuming I'm right about the engine numbers I used).

Otherwise it appears to be a simple swap. If I stay NA. Swapping with the turbo adds the ECU and complete air intake and some of the exhuast systems. And possible fuel pumps. Can the Z's fuel system handle the Turbo motor? Can the turbo motor run NA without a head and cam swap to raise compression and adjust timing curve?

I need this thing to be a driver as fast as possible. I can worry about making it a performer later.

I'll keep searching here and there but any info will be helpful. Wife is already barking. She'll calm down when the Z is running and the ZX is out of the yard.

Thanks in advance.

Oh and, noted on the spoiler :P

If it were me, I'd pick up a Walbro 255lph pump (assuming the Z pumps are in tank and not in line, I'm not sure). Should be about $100, not too bad for a pump that can support over 500hp!

It'd be a real dog without the turbo with the lowered compression, but you should be able to do it. I don't think it'd be that much if any harder to just use the ECU and stuff from the 81. Btw, inline sixes are naturally balanced, so you shouldn't have to worry about it. Not to mention that it's the same motor! I've read on here that all L6 drivetrain parts work with all the L6s (the older ones at least, dunno about the RBs).

If you simply want to swap the longblock assemblies, then it should work perfectly fine. It won't be as peppy as it should be, since you are running a lower compression setup (turbos were ~7.3:1 and NA was like ~8.5:1 or so?) but it really won't be TOO bad. Might run a tad rich, but I swear I have read people say they have done this with no real problems.

What I would suggest for the long term would be to keep and repair both cars. Granted it may be more of a chore, but how about this?

Park the 75 somewhere on pavement (or at LEAST gravel) and let it be for a little while. Put the manual and clutch from that into the 280ZX, and use the fuel pump from the 75 as well (it should at least make the car start, and if it needs to be replaced with a larger one then at least you can get it started and know it is worth buying a new fuel pump. I should know if there is a difference in the two pumps; I cannot remember) Drive the turbo 280ZX. An 81 turbo is not a common thing, those wheels are original to it.. it is actually a fairly desirable car in its own right.

Now, I also consider the 75 model year 280Z to be a desirable car in its own right, (I own one :D) and I am not that crazy on V8 swaps.. but I would suggest holding the 75 out for a nice ford motor swap. I've been dying to see someone hotrod a 300-I6 ford and put it in a Z, but a 289/302/351 would work too. You would need an engine and transmission, but could probably get away with (at least for a little while) the stock 3~3.5:1 R200 rear end that is in the 75, so it wouldn't be that difficult. You could, alternately, plan on doing something wild like a stroker motor, or even a stock 2.8 motor, with triple webers... those things sound SO amazing on these cars. Personally, I would go with this route.. if only that 280ZX had fallen into my lap I would suddenly know exactly what to do.

That turbo ZX is just a REALLY nice looking example.. unless there is significant hidden rust damage (quite possible, and this must play a kay role in your decision) it seems a shame to just make that into a donor car. Those wheels, the spoiler, the early B pillar treatment, the shaved upper side trim line, the 81 tail lights... even the black "ugly" bumpers REALLY look all in the right spots for that car. I'm actually very very jealous of your find, and hope you can make the most of it!

EDIT

two points I forgot..

One, I would like to see a better shot of the wheels on the 75.. I can wait, i just think theres an obscure possibility they are a decent find.. good chance they're just knockoffs though.

Two, IF that black rubber trim on the bumpers of the 75 is in decent shape at all, it can fetch a decent price from people trying to restore to dead stock.. if YOU want it there, take GOOD care of it because its pretty much nonexistent. Good, NOS pieces like that fetch BIG BUCKS because they are practically dodo birds.

I put 81 turbo parts(intake, exhaust, oil lines, oil pan, dizzy, and other stuff) on a na 78 engine, and stuck it in a 76 car, and had not one problem, everything bolted where it was supposed to all the holes were there...

both nice cars, nicer than my old 81, and nicer than my 76(mine was 75$ though)

If it were me, id get the zx driving, fix the problem in the 75 motor, fix all the body problems(like rust) while driving the 81.

Guys I appreciate your responses. I probably should have done this post in the Body Specific section and just post the motor swap questions here. If a mod wants to move it I understand.

Oh believe me. I'd love to keep both cars. I wouldn't hesitate to fix them both. However a few things stopping that.

I'm in the middle of a 1970 Mustang Fastback restoration. The car is on a rotisserie now. That is getting all the money and most of the time right now and rightly so. It cost more and it's worth more. A larger investment I need to finish so I can drive it or sell it.

The ZX has rust issues. Mostly in the front cowl areas. The lower channel of the windshield is rusting through badly. Some fender and quarter rust but it's the cowl that sucks the most. Also the interior is shredded and missing alot of parts. It's a parts car with racecar potential.

Lastly in the interest of family harmony I cannot leave that extra car anywhere. I have to strip it and get rid of it immediately. It is a shame because it has a clean title. I may post it on craigslist and/or here once I have what I need from it. I'm sure someone would want a 81 Turbo ZX T-Top body.

So back to the topic at hand. I found a few nice writeups about the swap. L28E to L28ET so that seems fairly straight forward. The flywheel / clutch worries me the most. I read that there's a spacer I'll need to remove from the automatic motor prior to installing the flywheel / clutch. I'm not sure what this looks like or where exactly it is but hoping it'll be obvious once I have everything apart.

Also from what I'm reading the Turbo ZX's had a larger clutch / flywheel that the N/A's. I'm assuming I can drive the car with the smaller N/A setup for now. Ofcourse since I don't even know what the 5 speed currently in the 280z is from it's all up in the air. Maybe I'll get lucky and it's a former turbo or 2+2 setup.

Hmmmm. Not alot of engine specific questions even in this post. I really shoulda posted this on body specific. And search more than I did prior to posting. Sorry.

Still thanks for all the info and and suggestions so far.

Ray

I don't think you are that off-topic.. many threads could go into more than one sub forum on HybridZ, and I think this sub forum makes as much sense as any other since the common ground between the vehicles is the L6, right?

You say windshield channel rust, and I say "okay, I give." :mrgreen:

The lower comp turbo longblock should be a direct bolt-in to your 75; I would use everything from the 75 except for the block, head, oil pressure sender.. In other words, keep the manifold and anything that plugs into the car, with the car. It won't be super fast; but thats the only problem you will really run into. This gets the 75 on the road.

Once you do that, start taking the ZX apart. Get the manifolds, turbo, and wiring all separated out, find any parts you want to retain (internally regulated alternator upgrade?) and start searching here. It is not a majorly difficult swap to turbocharge the 75, and having a complete "running" turbo car and an S30 with a blown engine is the best place to start.

That spoiler on the ZX IS something else, though.. its a shame that car is so gone, something about her really caught my eye.

That spoiler on the ZX IS something else, though.. its a shame that car is so gone, something about her really caught my eye.

I agree, that spoiler does stand out, I hardly see it on an zx.

just make sure you take the fuel pump from 81 over to the 75 (better rating then the 75).

Close up on the rust?

My vote goes to just swapping the whole l28et into the 280z as it is. It seems like it would just be more, unnecessary work to swap it n/a and then bolt all of the turbo stuff back onto it.

First things first, I would get the zx running and make sure everything checks out on it like the seller said. You never know what the real condition of things is until you've seen it for yourself. If it truly is just a bad fuel pump it shouldn't take much to get it running again. The swap will be a lot smoother if you can get all of the bugs worked out of the donor engine while it's still in the donor car :)

Keep us updated with lots of pics!

Let me know if you need any Z parts ;)

Cars are home. I'll post the interior and rust pics later. Having trouble with the 75 now. Tried to start both cars. Neither will crank but the 75 tries with starter fluid. So I'm troubleshooting a fuel problem now. Posted in the troubleshooting section. Some pictures there but not what you're looking for. I could use help though.

Before I bother trying to crank the ZX I'll see if the Z really has the "bottom end knock" the guy claimed it has. I do want to swap motors but I just need to know for sure it's required. I'll just strip the ZX and do the swap later if the Z with run and drive as is.

Thanks for all the advice and oppinions so far. Very much appreciated.

Two, IF that black rubber trim on the bumpers of the 75 is in decent shape at all, it can fetch a decent price from people trying to restore to dead stock.. if YOU want it there, take GOOD care of it because its pretty much nonexistent. Good, NOS pieces like that fetch BIG BUCKS because they are practically dodo birds.

uhhhh.... really? :ugg:

Here's a few of the pics I promised.

75int.jpg

Not too bad I think. Definitely needs a cleaning and the top of the dash is massively cracked as usual.

75wheel.jpg

Daeron you wanted this pic. Don't look all that special too me. I know some people like these lace wheels but I prefer 5 slots (ansen sprints). No curb rash I see but definitely needs cleaning and polishing? These appear stock by chance?

75rbump.jpg

This pic and the next show condition of the rumber bumper ends. This bumper is coming off. If someone wants them just make an offer. Same with the spoiler on the ZX. Ben280ZX has dibs on the spoiler tho :P

75lbump.jpg

75batt.jpg

All this rust is fairly shallow. Nothing rusted through here or in the floors. Yet. Eveything was well on it way to being too far gone.

81winrust.jpg

Here's the windshield rust I mentioned on the ZX. If not the only rust just the worst. Floors are solid but the driver's rear quarter is rusted through in front and behind the rear wheel. Passenger aint bad tho.

Anyways there's more pics. Feel free to stop by the troubleshooting section if you want help me get the Z running :P

hey, thats not THAT far from me. If you should turn out to need some parts, I might be able to help; no telling though.

Its one of the only bad parts about living in South Florida.. If you draw a 500 mile circle around any other point in the US, and then do the same where I live, I have probably 10% of the real estate in that radius that most of you have. It takes a 400 mile drive to get ANYwhere that isnt Miami, Tampa/Orlando/Daytona, or Jacksonville!

Those rims looks a little bit like American Racing mags, are they 14 or 15"? Pull one off and see if you can find any branding on the back. If they are 15" x7" AR rims, then they are a very classic piece for a Z car and in good condition, can fetch some bread.

The bumper rubber looks to be pretty well shot.. but I would still put it on Ebay with a low opening bid and no reserve. Seriously, you never know. As for the bumper itself... :lol: nobody likes em. I've looked long and hard and think I MIGHT be able to use the stock mounts, a 240 front bumper, and some angle iron to make a new, somewhat sturdy bumper out of angle iron welded onto the old 240 bumper as a "skin" of sorts. Most people remove the mounts and do a complete custom mount for the 240 bumper, if they keep the bumper at all.

Me? I actually got in major trouble with the po-po one time because I had taken the bumpers off of my car, so I put them both back on and left them there. Exterior bench seating FTW :rockon: