HybridZ

Can I paint my springs??

Horatio

I think they're powder coated now. I'm just worried about whatever I paint them with flaking off with all compression and flexing of the springs. I'd hate to get everthing put togetherto find the paint falling off after a couple miles of driving.

Don't quote me on this, but powder coat is a fine 'mist' of electro-statically charged plastic dust that is sprayed onto a piece and then it is put in an oven at ~400* until all of the plastic melts into a solid coating. You know the part is ready when it looks wet from all of the plastic being fully melted.

Because of the melting, I could see the original powdercoat melting along with the new coating and having them blend together.

I'll see what I can find for a definitive answer in a second though ;)

edit: Here's what I found. It all depends on what kind of powder they were coated with in the first place and if you are able to get a suitable ground with a coated piece. There are two types of powder, Thermoplastic powder (will melt an indefinite amount of times) and Thermosetting powder (will not remelt due to a chemical reaction during the baking process). I'm not sure how to determine which kind of powder your springs was coated with(maybe try melting some of it off?), but it seems to make a big difference. Another thing that's going to limit you is the ability to get a good ground and keep the part charged for the powder to stick to. Because of this, I think it would be very difficult to powdercoat over a previously coated piece using the conventional 'spray on' method'. It may be possible with a method where dipping the part into a powder solution where the the powder doesn't need to be electrically charged to stick.

My advice would be to look into plasti-dipping your springs in black. It leaves a great rubberized coating (similar to what is commonly found on the handle of a pair of pliers) that can flex and bend. It also comes in a spray on form in a rattle can that gives a much thinner coating. The stuff is great :)

The rubberized coating sounds like a good alternative, however, I really would like to have a glossy finish. Seems like the rubberized coatings would be a matte finish and would not be the best surface for removing road dirt. I've got my old stock set that i'll do some experimenting on.

Just take them to your local powdercoater, they can easily strip and re-coat them. If you are worried about paint chipping off after a short amount of time, powdercoating them will be a good way to go and have peace of mind about longevity.

It would be best to remove the coating and re-powdercoat them. The paint will chip off powdercoating very quickly. Powdercoating will adhere and flex with the spring and not chip. If you're looking for a guy to do powdercoating, I might know someone *wink* *wink* www.srpowdercoating.com that's me. If you have any general question's hit me up. I also do hi-temp ceramic.

Chris