HybridZ

Grille mounted headlights

Hey guys. I searched but couldn't find a relevant thread. Someone is selling road racer fenders with no headlights and I like the look. But it means the headlights would have to be re-located to the grille. I've got a 73 bumper on my 77, so very little room to work with.

Has anyone used aftermarket lights or adapted another OEM style into the grille?

I'm ok with removing the grille entirely if necessary. Any suggestions welcome and pics would be great if you got em. Thanks in advance for the help!

That is exactly how I thought it would have to be mounted. Which headlights did you use? Aftermarket?

And being road legal would be an issue for me, since I travel in both the USA and Canada with the car. Just out of curiousity, why would it be illegal? If the headlights throw enough light and they are adjustable so they don't blind oncoming traffic, wouldn't that be enough? I know nothing about this subject, was just wondering.

I have been told headlights need to be a minimum of at least 18" from the ground. I am not sure it that measurement is to the center of the light or to the lower edge. My lights were designated as "off road use only" but you could use a steet legal light and give it a try. I serioulsy doubt it would be an issue to most law enforcement is they were aimed properly.

Look for the camaro lights that were not the the flip up type. If you can find a parts car grab all four lights and the housing and fabricate the whole thing. I have a picture of this setup somewhere and will post it here if I find it.

Look for the camaro lights that were not the the flip up type. If you can find a parts car grab all four lights and the housing and fabricate the whole thing. I have a picture of this setup somewhere and will post it here if I find it.

I have a complete set of those lights and the housings with adjusters and levels. They would be a bit of a chore to install and make look correct but I am sure it can be done.

Dragonfly

Not many know this, but there is a height requirement for headlights to pass visual inspection (even though no one really cares, except manufacturers).

In the state of California that height is 21" from level ground to the middle of the headlight. I don't know if they have any requirements like that in Canada.

Dragonfly

Anybody know of any aftermarket or OEM lights that would fit the bill?

You could try the AU and AUII XR6 and XR8 falcon lights from the aussie ford, HID projectors I think, they're small and damn bright anyway.

auiii19.jpg

One of the Aussies could probably pick some up cheap from a junk yard for you

I also want to add driving lights to my 2/71. I've already added OEM-style fog lights to the stock holes under the bumper. (A steal at $20- Pilot brand from AutoZone) They have almost clear lenses with a yellow bulb. Then I bought another grille to experiment with. I hope to get a pair of 3.5 inch round driving lights and then cut the grille to set them neatly in- flush. at the front.

We have tons of fog and very dark back streets around here, so supplemental lighting is critical. But first I am going to add the H6024ST Sylvania SilverStar sealed beams before I start cutting. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's how mine were:

m39558140.jpg

They worked pretty good. They were cheap "baja" headlights that all of the jeep guys have. Plenty rock resistant.

It bolted to the stock hood(no cutting) with some fender washers.

It was like a rally car when driving the twisties late at night. Just aim them way in (crossing) and you can see everything. Just flip them off in traffic cause its not pleasant to come up on somebody with crosseyed headlights. lol

These were brighter than the stock headlights becuase of new wiring too...

Action shots...

m37446309.bmp

m37446252.bmp

I believe it worked with my 74 bumper too, but I don't exactly remember. This was a long whole back. It looks like it would work.

Cleared all of the torsion springs but not the grille.

• 1 month later...
You could try the AU and AUII XR6 and XR8 falcon lights from the aussie ford, HID projectors I think, they're small and damn bright anyway.

auiii19.jpg

One of the Aussies could probably pick some up cheap from a junk yard for you

In the US we had the Hyundai Tiburon and the front end is very close to whats pictured, might be worth a look2001-Hyundai-Tiburon-1.jpg