HybridZ

LS1 With Stock Fuel Tank

I have a 75 280z and a 2002 camaro ls1 .I have searched, but I am unable to find any pics or directions for using the stock gas tank with the ls1 conversion. When I look at the pics that are posted, it seems that everyone is using a fuel cell or the ls1 tank. Has anyone used the JCI fuel pump with the corvette fuel filter to a stock camaro fuel rail? Maybe I am looking at this all wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I used the stock 1978 280z fuel tank and pump. No issues. If your tank does not have a fuel return, you will have to add one. I simply ran fuel into the fuel rail with a T to the pressure regulator and out of the regulater to the fuel return line back to the tank. The vent line from the tank ran into the charcoal canister that I relocated in front of the radiator.

Holds 60psi with no problem.

My car was the prototype for the JCI componenets and it uses the stock '77 tank and fuel lines. It has the higher pressure/volume pump in the same location as the original Z fuel pump. It's feeding an LS1 out of a '98 Z28. I've had absolutely no fuel feed problems on the street or the 1/4 mile track. I did have problems when I let the tank get below 3/8 full when I was doing hard cornering at Texas Motor Speedway. Above that was no problem.

Mine's a 75 with stock tank...the stock fuel feed line from the tank is like 1/2" (pretty big considering stock camaro is 3/8") Also, it has a return right next to the feed. Most of my fuel system consists of steel braided line and a few pieces of rubber hose and is held to main parts (tank, filter, pump, fuel rain) using fuel injection hose clamps.

• 2 weeks later...

rwwisnesky,

Do you have any better pics? I look at you car domain photo and I am still a little unsure. With the stock motor the purge line ran to the canister the fuel pump feed the line and the return line returned the excesive fuel?

I will take some pics tonight, but the ls1 has two lines one on the rails and the other on the manifold.

When I looked at your setup, it looks as though you have the fuel pump feed to fuel regulator that is "t" to fuel rail/corvette regulator then I am a bit confused because it looks as though there are three fittings on one side and a return?

I am sorry if this is a dumb question.

There is no such thing as a dumb question. I went from the pump into a Tee. From the Tee, one line went to the fuel rail, the other to the presssure regulator. Then from the regulator back to the tank. The regulator also had a vacuum hook up.

Then, from the tank vent to the canister. From the canister to the intake manifold to purge it, and a vacuum hook up. I did a sketch, but cant find a way to attach it to this message. Send me your email and ill send it or you can call me at 303 541 0616, always willing to talk to a Z,er in distress

Ragefear, thanks. rwwisnesky contacted me and sent me pictures and a diagrahm that he drew. I saw the linkthat you posted, but for some reason I just didn't get it. When I looked at it for some reason I thought that it didn't apply to my situation. Of course, Vinh has been a great help. He was out of town for a while and I didn't want to keep bothering him but I like I said, he is really nice and would go out of his way to help.

• 1 year later...

if you use the c5 unit, the bypass return line goes away in that diagram from the motor, as does the regulator. It would go between the EFI pump and the Y block (if you use the Y block), otherwise stock fuel rails have feed on 1 side, and no return. Instead of 2 90* fittings going to the fuel pressure regulator, you would have block off plates/plugs at the end of the fuel rail. The return line would be run from the C5 filter to the gas tank