HybridZ

car won't run w/ cold start injector plugged in

S130Z

well i ran into a little problem today that is gonna set back my cold start problem for a little bit. i was driving home and my car started missfire-ing real bad, i couldnt let the rpms under 3k without it running like hell. it had good power 4k and up but it would stall out at idle. it was dark when i got home so i couldnt check anything out. im gonna run some tests on it tomarrow and see if i find a prob. i dont know if its the fact that my cam shaft has chunks taken out of the sides of the lobes or the gouges in the contact points of my distrib. cap?

An old cap & rotor can really wreak havoc once they start going out. Get them changed, they're like $20.

You have chunks missing from your camshaft???? How would that be good? Where did the missing peices go, into the engine? Those bits of metal could be foating around in your oiling system, and that's not good at all.

Interestingly enough when my ZXT had a crapped out CHTS and a dead O2 sensor driving the car was pretty crappy. On the freeway getting up to 65 was awful, but once I hit 65 and over my car ran beautifully. I think it had to do with the fact that it was hitting the point where the ECU would kick back to Open Loop and ignore all the sensors. This could be your problem, or something similar. How does the car run when it starts up from cold?

Good point duowing.

The 280ZX ECU will kick out of closed look at above 2500RPM I believe. At least that's where it is on my 83' turbo ECU. I can tell because of how much vacuum I need in order to maintain a given speed on the freeway. 2400RPMs takes much more air than 2600, due to the leaner mixture in closed loop.

There's also some other factors. The knock sensor. There's a cut off point that the ECU stops listening to it. So if it's got a bad connection maybe it's going off causing timing cut backs at the lower RPM range.

well i changed the cap and rotor, it still runs rough at idle and misses during free rev up to about 2200 instead of 3k like it used to, and what is CHTS? i just changed the cap and rotor and its dark and rainy so i havnt test drove it yet. it deffinitly sounds alot better though.