HybridZ

automatic gearboxes loose inner axle

Blobber

My 3speed automatic transmission started to leak and took propeller shaft to see what's going on. I found out that rear seal was in pieces, but the didn't harm the rear part of gearbox(new seal is going to be tight). I was trying to figure out what caused that and noticed that the axle which is inside tha gearbox is very loose. Should it be like this or should it be tighter? Is there a bearing which holds the axle steady?

That's not entirely correct...the output shaft DOES move about 3/16" in all directions from center on an automatic transmission. I have a brand new, never installed one, direct from Nissan here in my garage and just went to check it. Pulled the black plastic shipping cap off the back of it and it DOES move. This is the tranny for an 82 NON-turbo ZX that I'm referring to. My turbo transmission from my 82 Turbo ZX moves as well. The front driveshaft yoke centers it and rides in the seal. Replace the seal and you shouldn't have any problems.

As for what caused the seal to wear out and break into peices to begin with, I'd consider the age of it to begin with, as well as the balance of the driveshaft itself. Those driveshafts came with NON-replaceable U-joints in them. Check the U-joints to see that both the front and back ones move freely in both directions on their axis' and if any binding is found, don't take any chances...have a new driveshaft made. If the u-joints don't show any binding or looseness, at least have it balanced at a driveline shop to eliminate the possiblilty if nothing else.

A worn or disintegrated transmission mount (that sits on the crossmember) as well as the crossmember bushings themselves can also attribute to seal leakage, so check those as well. Replace as necessary.