HybridZ

vg33e - an interesting project

jdek

Hey all.

I've got a vg33e from a 98 pathfinder stripped down in my garage that I'd like to use in a project. I've heard/read that I can mate this to a 300zx transmission, can anyone confirm this for me?

This project is going to be a fairly significant learning opportunity for me, so I figured I'd share. I'm hoping to drop the vg33e block and 300zx trans into my 87 ford mustang. (flame suit on)

I've done a bunch of planning, checking, thinking.... etc... and I've got some pretty incredible resources. So regardless of its utter rediculon, I think it can be done, and I'm going to try.

Thanks in advance for any help/ pointers

Jake

Yup, you can use either the older Z31 transmission stuff or with some random parts the stronger Z32 transmission.

For the Z32 transmission you'll need an 89-91 Maxima flywheel, Maxima or 84-86 300ZX clutch, Z32 throwout bearing, and the lower transmission brackets from a Z32 as well.

The VG33 is pretty awesome, I'm planning on using one in my Z. What's awesome about them compared to the VG30E(T) is the cylinder walls... they're huge. You can bore these things to nearly 3.8 liter and still have quite a bit of liner left. 3.8 would definitely make it a potent NA engine but with boost... that thing would be incredible.

Definitely post up some pictures of the progress. A swap into a Mustang would definitely be unique and very cool in my book. :D

Interesting about the 33's cylinder wall thickness, I regret not going the 33 way instead of with a VG30DET. Hook a GT35R turbo up with the mid size turbine housing and you would have torque to burn, all with a compact and relatively light motor.

Only thing I have heard is that the cam drive wheel on the forged VG30 twin cam crankshaft does not line up with the 33's heads wheels.

Thanks for the replies. I'll be sticking with the NA setup for a while, to simplify the project, but a turbo is definitely in my 4-5 month plan.

mtcookson - Thanks for the shopping list :)

260DET - I've heard that as well, so I'll be sticking with the stock heads. I wish I could get a dual overhead cam setup on it, but I've heard the oil passageways don't line up between sohc and dohc blocks.

Anyone know how different the intake manifolds are? can I put a 300zx manifold on the lower plenum from the pathfinder?

• 4 weeks later...

a vg33 mustang would be cool, I want to put a nissan v6 in an El Camino... not a fan of v8s LOLL

the stock 300zx z31 manifold sucks compared to pathfinder, and maxima intakes.

I dont know what injectors or lower intake your going to run(dont know if you want to keep stock lower from pathy, I dont know anything about them)... but I hope to get a vg30 or a 33 if I can find one for the right price... I already have a 2wd pathy trans for it(same a TT trans internally).

I think the vg33 lower intake manifold has those weird injectors so thats why im going to use the vg30 one. if I get a vg33.

but im going to use a 300zx lower intake manifold, with a older maxima intake like a 1988 one, these maxima intakes are said to be able to support 450hp on vg30.

Also I dont know if vg33 heads are thicker casting than the 300zx heads. but older maxima heads(non W-series) are thicker casting and can be ported out more, I might use that as well if vg33 heads are same as vg30 heads, I know vg33 heads have thicker studs on exhaust.

more info on the v6 can be found here www.jasonbutts.com

z31-oldmotor.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have to pull the heads off my VG30ET because the manifold studs broke off in there and won't come out (been trying with various methods for 2 weeks!).

I F'n hate working on this motor in the Z31. it's just too hard to work around with my wide hands. Just getting at the block-coolant drain plugs took me an hour for the passenger side and 30 minutes for the turbo side.

This is ridiculous. :( I considered the VG33 to just take everything off and put onto, but I don't think I have the room to do such a thing.

• 2 months later...

ok, I know I haven't posted in a while, but I've made some progress.

It was a bunch of work, but I've got the engine/trans mated and dropped in, I got a custom driveshaft made, wired up the pathy instrument cluster and ecm, fabbed up a clutch master cylinder to replace the cable.. and countless other mods. So today for the first time in months (and after rebuilding it in my garage at home) I got the engine fired up. MAN that thing is loud with only headers on it!! So this is my STOKED post. more to follow.

I've got a few pics, and I'll try to get a video this week.

Anyway, the plan from here is to take it in to my shop to finish fabbing up the exhaust, and then reassemble the interior.

So many little obstacles came up.. and some huge ones, but I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Kudos to all of you guys out there! Your builds were and are an inspiration. I have so much more respect for you and the effort that goes into your cars.

Peace,

Jake

DSCN0036.jpg

DSCN0038.jpg

DSCN0039.jpg