HybridZ

Adding a pre-muffler

proxlamus©

So I am thinking of adding a 3" dynomax "race muffler" inline with my exhaust to help quiet things down a little bit...

The exhaust will go from the following...

Turbo > downpipe > electric cut out > flex pipe > dynomax muffler > Apexi N1 muffler

So the car will be really quiet when driving.. then if I want it loud then flip the switch on the cut out.

What do you guys think?!

Funny thing was I was thinking of exactly that as I was coming home today. (not in the Z) Was at a stop light and thought it would be cool to with the flip of a finger have "prrrrrrrrblapblapblapblapblapblap" :)

Im actually hopeing to use the choke cable and lever off of my 260 parts car to actuate some kind of valve. Any ideas of what kind of valve to get for 3inch exhaust?

haha your car will never be a sleeper! But most modern day cars use 2 mufflers to keep the noise down, so i think it would work pretty well.

You know, I've been told that the front "muffler" is in fact a resonator more than a muffler. It's place at a precise location with a precise size to kill the acoustic "droning" for a particular motor by damping a specific range of the sound profile of the engine. The big muffler at the back then decreases the decibel level.

Derek, Summit has an electric cut out valve I was thinking of using. I think it was around $240.

I was thinking of doing the very same thing, glad you guys posted. Mama bear hates the noise and even though I love the rumble aroud town, a 3" exhaust REALLY wears a guy down after 15 hours on the interstate.

Prox, if you get the second muffler installed, please post with the results. And what do you think will be the effect on performance?

Rafe, I thought the same thing. I specifically told the guy who did my 3" exhaust I wanted a bad ass sound...and I got what I asked for. I love driving it around town. But even a couple of hours on the highway and it's just too much. Prox's idea of a cutout is a perfect compromise. Loud when you want to be loud, quiet when you need it....like when the wife is in the car.

Hey, that's not bad considering Summit charges even more!

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=QTP%2D10300&N=700+115&autoview=sku ($42.95)

Plus this:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=QTP%2DQTEC30&N=700+115&autoview=sku ($159.95)

On that fleabay kit, you also get a V-band kit and a dump pipe! How do they do it for so much less? I wonder if it inferior quality or something.

I've heard that if you shut off your hot exhaust with the butterfly in the closed position, it may stick there due to the different thermal expansion coefficients of the materials (and sticktion?).

Dynomax Bullets work great as a pre-muffler. Good choice. cheap too. flow like a straight pipe. I used a set on a Z V8 conversion and the difference was amazing. It went from a super loud droning sound (like riding in a sub woofer box) to almost the sound of a stock exhaust system.

I have a Dynomax Ultra Flow SS and a catalytic converter with 3" pipe on my L28 Turbo, and it seems pretty quiet to me. My GF has no problems sleeping in the car. The cat was installed at the same time as the rest of the exhaust, so I've no idea what impact it had...

Nigel

'73 240ZT