HybridZ

Fiberglass Flare- Crack over time???

Wheeler

Im interested in flares and I like the fiberglass ZG flares from MSA because they can be smoothed in and dont have to look like they were bolted on. My question is this... will the union between the metal and the fiberglass eventually crack? What steps do I need to do the prevent this? I have seen many "body kits" that show hairline cracks between the metal and the fiberglass parts after a couple of years.

One other question does any one know of a ZG like flare that is metal and could be welded on?

Thanks

:-D I came from Colorado and have had the same style flairs on my Z car since 1994. To date I haven't had a problem with them cracking. I did add three sheets of fiberglass over the flair when I installed them. Don't know if that helped. I also installed them with glue and pop rivits. Then I seamed sealed them to the car.

I have had the MSA fiberglass flares for about 8 years now. I have one or two areas of separation that I have to deal with.

I didn't do the body work.

Victoria British Z carries metal flares.

Had I known about them I would have purchased them.

Do yourself a favor and do it the right way; metal to metal.

It's why I don't have a front spoiler or airdam or body kit...

"Plastic always breaks."

The main reason for the cracking of the plastic/fiberglass flairs is the different expansion and contraction ratios between the metal and plastic. Todays bonding adhesives are better designed to overcome this issue but the amount of exposure to extreme temperature is the primary cause of failure for properly adhered panels. Decades ago I was always told not to glass to metal and I rarely saw anyone have any real long term success. If you can do them in metal its preferable but costly. If your going to use plastic/glass flairs make sure you use one the the new adhesive products and not the fibreglass resin.

Larry

www.wgmauto.com

http://picasaweb.google.com/wgmauto