HybridZ

cant fit brake pads in

i have a 1978 280z and did the 280zx turbo rear disk swap

everything was going swimmingly till i tried to get new brake pads and good luck getting them in if i do find them.

the problem is "more so on the drivers side" there is no way ill be able to get new pads to fit in the caliper. i barley got the passenger ones in with Used pads... very used but then again i dont know how thick the new ones would be cant be more then 4mm

anyways its there a better way to get these things compressed? ive been prying on them but what seams to happen is the whole thing slides and i can only get room for one side or the other the piston does not want to depress all the way

it looks like its open on both sides is it a free floating caliper?

IMG_1204_thumb.JPG

IMG_1205_thumb.JPG

i tried without the inlet line on the caliper all it seams to do is move the housing from side to side

are there 2 pistons in this caliper the back one seams to be the parking brake

ill try that tomor

i just hope i can find some pads my parts store says they cant get them

That's the way they're retracted...they SCREW in, they're not pushed in. Use a pair of needle-nose pliers to catch in the indentations on the outter edges of the piston(s) and twist it in.

In true Moderator form, I MUST remind you--- SEARCH. Using the word "Retract" in the "Brakes" section, lookie what shows up: Click

a lot of rear disk brake calipers retract this way, autozone carries a rear disk brake compressing kit that turns the piston as well as pushes it in, makes the job much easier, it is in thier loan a tool selection, $50 deposit. I just went through the same thing with my 79 zx, waiting for a caliper seal kit to redo my rear calipers while they are off the car, these are by far the most involved disks I have dealt with so far.

i got some raybestus pads no prob just went to a larger autoparts chain

i dont think im going to go to that one i always go to they were so grumpy and couldnt be bothered with me. and i always go there.

the "Lordco" was so cool the guy ran to the back to make sure they were there since it only showed one in stock. price was about the same 2

but i got the pads and they fit very easy room to spare pumped the e-brake a couple times and it was good to go

cant wait to take it out for a drive