HybridZ

How to get stubborn drain plugs loose (end of my rope!)?

I'm trying to drain/refill my transmission and differential with new gear oil.

I'm trying to get the FILL plugs out (getting the drain plug out only to not be able ot get the fill plug out is not something i want to deal with :)).

Now I've tried this twice, 2 weeks apart, giving myself time to get my patience back.

I've tried "liquid wrench", waiting...then hitting the plug to get it loose....nothing is working.

Is there any recommended alternate means to do this ? I'm going nuts....

Thanks in advance!

I had to remove my Z's diff cover and have a big nut welded to the stuck fill plug. The heat of the welding is what really broke it loose, but being able to put a six-point socket on the nut helped too. BTW, there's another way to fill a Z diff, in a pinch: remove one of the axle shafts (including the stub shaft that goes inside the diff) and presto, there's an easy-to-reach hole to fill through.

Jeff

heat up around the plug with a tourch aluminum transfers heat alot faster than steel and the plug should be steel even if it isnt heat up around the plug not the plug it self the metal will expand and with it still really hot wrench on it and see what happens