HybridZ

Turbocharger onto '75 280Z L28E engine

Guest mikewags

Guest mikewags

Hi Guys,

I have a 75' 280z; all stock. I am planning to install a 280zx turbo manifold, like the one listed below.

35b1_1.jpg

I am new to the idea of setting up a turbo. What size/type of turbo would be able to fit directly onto the ZX Manifold (size of that opening for the turbo...flange?)

What other kinds of parts would I need to complete this job?

If I am running relatively low boost (7 - 8) would my engine be alright with the turbo charger added; being completely stock? I know people tend to change out the head/camshaft and pistons; but I would like to keep it all stock.

I have tried searching on this subject, but have just come across a lot of confusing posts; leaving me with little useful information.

Any advice or how-to links on adding a turbo to an L28E (stock 1975 280z) would be greatly appreciated because I am planning on making purchases relatively soon!

Guest mikewags

What do you guys think about this project? Is it extremely risky, or have people found success with running a turbo on the stock l28e?

I'm not looking for TONS of HP improvement, but some added boost would be nice.

What do you guys think about this project? Is it extremely risky, or have people found success with running a turbo on the stock l28e?

I'm not looking for TONS of HP improvement, but some added boost would be nice.

No it’s not risky. I did it on my N/A 280zx. The biggest problem I had was that it had recirculation ball power steering that shared the same space as part of the turbo setup. I ended up going back to N/A because I coincidentally had a rocker arm fly off a valve at the same time I turboed my engine. At the time I mistaked the dislodged rocker for being the turbo that was not working properly so I took it off and the problem still persisted so after a bunch of tests I finally removed my valve cover and there was the problem. I was kicking myself because I could have left my turbo on. You won’t have that space problem on your z. Don’t forget that you need to run an oil line to the turbo and you need a pipe welded on to your oil pan for the oil return.

Because of the random complications I had it took me 2 days to do the conversion. I imagine with a 75 z it would only take a day. Oh and compression is higher on your N/A engine so expect higher power numbers than a stock turbo engine but dont even think about tweaking with that wastegate rod till you have some way to cool down the intake charge. The 6-7 psi of the stock 280zx turbo (t3) is almost pushing the limits for having no intercooler with the compression ratio of your engine.

Anyway like my man MJ said, search around a bit :)

Guest mikewags

Thanks Biohazard for the informative response. I would probably go about doing it the right way first, getting an intercooler, if not having one runs the risk of overheating the engine.

Where would the oil line run from? And does the oil pan need to be custom done, or does the ZX have this (and fit?)

If you don't mind, can I bounce some parts/ideas off of you?

Thanks Biohazard for the informative response. I would probably go about doing it the right way first, getting an intercooler, if not having one runs the risk of overheating the engine.

Where would the oil line run from? And does the oil pan need to be custom done, or does the ZX have this (and fit?)

If you don't mind, can I bounce some parts/ideas off of you?

The oil line comes from where the Oil pressure sensor screws into the block. Its on the right side of the block (opposite side of the Intake/ Exhaust ports). I fabbed up the return line on my oil pan my self, the stock 280zx turbos come with an oil return line/pipe connected to the oil pan. The one I welded to mine was a more gradual bend than the stock right-angle return. Search around the forums and you will find the info you need.

I think I have made this same response 5 or 6 times now.........

This is 1 way to add a turbo to a stock 75.

Buy this stuff. Items 1 to 4 can be found at your local junk yard for $100.

1) stock turbo exhaust manifold

2) stock turbo with wastegate, down pipe, and J-pipe

3) stock turbo oil pan, oil pick up tube in pan, and drain line from turbo

4) stock oil sender tee and oil feed line

5) Bell Engineering FMU ($225.00 new)

Things you need to do.

1) Install all the turbo stuff (items 1 to 4 listed above)

2) lock out the mechanical advance in the distributor. This will require some disassembly to find the advance slots then fill them up with rtv and let dry. Set initial timing to 24 degrees. Continue using the vacuum advance.

3) relocate the pcv under the intake or put on a 90 degree fitting to clear the turbo compressor.

4) mount the FMU by the fuel filter in the return line. Set fuel pressure to 60 psi at 7 psi of boost (stock wastegate setting).

5) connect the down pipe to the 75 exhaust system. should use a 2-1/2" exhaust system.

A completely stock 75 should run a mid 14 second 1/4 mile at 96 mph with the above setup. good luck.

FYI, the fmu increases fuel pressure while on boost so you don't need to change fuel injectors. But you may want to install a msd efi fuel pump (90.00 from summit racing).

I would recommend to upgrade to a megasquirt efi system first then add a turbo later. The fmu works pretty well up to 7 psi of boost but it is kind of a crude solution for fuel enrichment.

Final comment, The stock 75 clutch (225mm) will not last long. You should upgrade to a 2+2 clutch (240mm).

once you have the parts is super easy, i through mine together in a few days( assembled the motor with turbo and intake then dropped it in. im converting to 300zx/z31 ecu, maf and wiring(so I can use nistune)... I have all that stuff because I work on 300zx all the time. but for you I recommend stock 280zx turbo stuff.

And like the previous post, find a turbo/2+2 clutch and flywheel

I would search for a 280zxlet to start with. Got mine for 1K with shipping. But it`s made for this with the cam,the better head, sensors, manifold,etc. The Holsets, which can bolt up to the exhaust manifold..with a 7/16 drill out are available used on EBAY for an reasonable price.I got Mine for 335$ w/shipping. Then go to DIY and get a Megasquirt ll..and the other stuff you`ll need...relay board,stimulator, connecting cords,and go to RS motorsports for the harness. If You want to go wideband o2 go to Modern Automotive Performance. You can make it work with what You`ve got..but this seems easier to Me. I`ve got a 76 280z 2+2. Have Fun, Roger