HybridZ

510 Daily Driver

Gollum

We don't really have a space for discussion on non-Z related cars without it being in the non-tech. So I hope this fits well enough here.

Well, in about 6 months to a year I plan to make the switch from daily driving my Z to another car, especially if gas continues to rise. No, I'm not an idiot, I won't be buying something EXPENSIVE in order to SAVE at the pump. That's just dumb. I'm look at real operating costs. What does it cost to fix the car, how hard is it to come by parts, and how much does it cost to get the car in the first place?

One of the other main reasons I'm considering this is that the Z won't carry a 4x12 guitar cabinet (roughly 30"x30"x15"). So I need something that can carry some cargo too.

My first choices were the CRX HF and the Geo Metro.

The Geo is butt ugly. Probably worse even, but those words are sensored around here.

The CRX is nice, but the gate design isn't easy to get things in and out of obviously, and hondas are stolen and broken into around here twice as often as any other make. If I'm going to have expensive gear in it I want it to be at least semi less obvious to break into. So sleeper points are good.

And I was kinda liking the idea of something presmog. This would allow me to basically do whatever I want in the realm of tuning for gas mileage and not worry about the legal consequences. Some of the old toyotas were interesting, but I keep being drawn to the 510.

I know my way around nissan parts a heck of a lot better than anything else, and the 510 can use quite a few parts from other nissan vehicles from the same era.

It's light enough of a base at 2250 pounds or so, and even if the trunk isn't big enough for my cabinet, it won't have much of any interior, so it can do in the passanger seat, rear area, or I can even do some cutting and reinforcing around the trunk to rear seat area.

And power? I'm still not sure, but I was thinking KA. I'm not sure yet if the SOHC or DOHC would be a better option, but the more drop in it is the better. Reading around it looks like I'll either have to cut and reweld the x-member 180 degrees, which removes the ability to use the stock sway bar, or make a custom oil pan for the motor. I think the SOHC motors use the Z style tranny, and the DOHC uses the SR20 style tranny. I might be wrong. But if that's the case I might go SOHC just for the simplier tranny setup, as from what I understand the Z tranny is nearly bolt in using the Z tranny mount.

My goal will be to get the weight down to around 1700 or less, even using lexan in the rear areas if I have to in order to get there. I'd like to reach about 40-45mpg real world tank averages. Even with a stock KA24E it should scoot just fine, as it will still have a good 30+ hp more than stock, more torque by more than that, and quite a bit less weight.

I'm also still kinda curious if there's a better option for the engine choice. As far as I know, one of the main factors in gas mileage other than tune, is VE at cruising RPM. More power isn't always better, if it comes at the expense of adding more air, or more fuel. You want to make as much power as possible for a given air/fuel quantity at cruising RPM. Obviously the leaner you can get the engine to run the better, but if power suffers too much you'll just be increasing throttle in order to make up for the power difference, adding in more air and fuel, bringing fuel usage back up to what it was before leaning it out.

The goal is get as much energy out of the fuel added as possible, not getting as much power out of an amount of air as possible (a racer's goal). So a high torque/displacement ratio is what we're looking for.

This thread will be as much for me expressing plans as they change, and what I learn in the process as it will be for people adding in their own ideas and opinions.

For instance, if I can find more data on the old datsun trucks based off the car platform, that might sway me. But the huge owner/modifier base of the 510 makes it appealing.

http://www.the510realm.com/phpBB3/

http://forum.ratsun.net/

I had a 71 510 with a stroked L16 (1700), with Bosch K jetronic CIS from Volvo/VW cars and a 63cm 5 speed the car delivered over 30 mpg on the freeway. A wagon with a L18 and a Weber DGV and a 5 speed got upwards of 30 mpg. With a CA18 and sequential injection I could see upwards of 35 mpg if the car was properly tuned.

Thank you, that's exactly what I want to hear. I'll be going for a lean as I can get tune, even if that means megasquirt to get there. Even at 35mpg, a tall rear end and weigh reduction should get me the rest of the way to my goal.

Thanks for the links too.

I love my Volvo 850 turbo wagon as a DD. (240's and 740's are good wagons too if you want RWD)

-Has utility

-FWD

-turbo charged

-good fuel economy

-safety features

-reliable

-easy to work on

-They've used a 7 layer paint system for many many years, thats why you don't see many rusty volvo's, unless their owners abused them. It's easy to find a rust free older one if your on a budget.

People usually make jabs at me when I say I drive a Volvo wagon, then I say wanna see who's car can go more miles? People usually don't expect to keep their car long enough to see 200,000 miles+.

On a side note I got to meet Irv Gordon a few weeks ago, he has the 2,600,000 mile volvo. He had the engine rebuilt at 600,000 and they said he was pushing it by waiting that long and now he hasn't rebuilt it since in 2million miles.