HybridZ

Looking for sources for Differential Coolers/ Pumps...

Mikelly

Mike,

Before you spend money on this, drill and tap the rear cover for a temp sending unit and install an oil temp guage. You might be surprised to find that you don't need a cooler.

If your diff oil temps are over 240 degrees for more than a few minutes then you need a cooler. Otherwise, you're just adding weight and complexity.

Looked at the link, that tim240z, had for the weldon pumps. Maybe a regular fuelpump will do? As far as small oilcoolers go, look in a motorcycle junkyard lots of bikes came stock with little oilcoolers.

Thure

John,

What I'm hearing is that the Clutch type LSD without the rear finned cover causes the oil to heat up quicker above certain RPM ranges. With my project I plan to hit some sustained RPMs and I suspect this will become an issue.

Mike icon_rolleyes.gif

I think you mean wheel speed instead of RPMs correct?

A clutch pack LSD generates the most heat when its working as a differential. The tighter the turn and/or the greater the torque application the more heat it will generate. That's one reason clutch pack LSDs used in autocross competition need more frequent rebuilding than the same diff used for road racing. Here on the west coast I don't know any ITS racer that runs a diff cooler and they sometimes start races with ambient temps around 100F.

Again, I'm suggesting you do some baseline measurements before adding weight, complexity, and another possible failure point to your car. If you do eventually run a cooler, the temp guage and related plumbing will be needed anyway. Plus you'll have a baseline to work from in determining cooler efficiency and location.

You would be correct John... Wheel speed...Tough day at work and I need SEVERAL drinks...

Correct again about plumbing the lines and gauge.

Will do that first. What I should to is get a finned cover and the aluminum brace one of our members sells...

Mike icon_biggrin.gif