HybridZ

Welding ARB's

260DET

The blue anti roll bar pictured below has its arms welded to a hollow bar which should be spring steel. There are stick welding rods available which it is claimed are suitable for such welding, 303 I think is one.

But rather than rely completely on just weld to hold such arms, I'm thinking of deforming each end of a hollow bar cold and having arms which have a matching hole which can be forced over the deformed part and then welded.

Or is that overkill, keeping in mind that I don't have any heat treatment etc knowledge.

8708_thumb.attach

I'm wondering why you couldn't get a custom length circle track bar (commonly available here in the states), and then either machine a plate to fit the splines or make new arms with the tab to bolt to the rod end integrated into them.

As to your original question, I wouldn't forsee any problem with welding as shown in the picture assuming the welding was done right. Of course I don't have any heat treating knowledge either...

Funny. That picture above is of the Griggs GT40 SLA front suspension for a Fox body Mustang. I'm putting that exact front suspension on a Mustang right now.

I wouldn't worry about a properly welded and heat treated part.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest remos111

I am wanting to do some welding on my 240 z frame. Does any one know the type of steel so I can choose the correct Flux core wire? Does the frame need to be heat treated after welding?