HybridZ

What kinds of steering shaft set ups are you guys running to clear exhast manifolds?

Well recently my steering gear box took a dump so I decieded to get rid of it completely. I bought all the stuff necesary to swap in a power rack and pinion from an 83 280zx. So today I went to work to put it all in thinking it should clear everything fine........wrong! The steering shaft from the column to the rack and pinion hits my custom header. So now I have to either come up with some sort of crazy steering shaft set up or buy the JTR header and rework part of my exhaust.

So what can I do with the steering shaft set up? Can i put some sort of extra u-joint in there to go around the header? I would rather not buy the header just for the fact that I may be selling the engine/tranny combo this winter to go with another set up. Of course I could always sell the headers to some else doing the V8 swap. I would like to have the steering shaft as close to the frame rail as possible so that it's out of the way for any further engine choices...

Guy

Ok I think I know what I am going to do. I am going to purchase a double u-joint, 2 support bearings and some tubing to modify my steering shaft set up. It should work but we will see. I am going to have to make some brackets for the support bearings and modify my original shaft/u-joint set up but it should work...... WE WILL SEE!.....

Someone (240 Hoke? I dunno, been surfing WAY too much to recall who) used a steering shaft box from a Nissan truck. You run the shaft right along the frame and into the box. It basically acts like a 180* box so you can shoot past the headers and then down to the steering rack from the front side.

I have everything all mounted and welded up. I am going to install the "contraption" tomorrow at work and do an alignment. It worked good when I took it out the car the last time so it should still work good now that its reinforced and painted. I'll take some snap shots of it tomorrow and post them when I get home!

Guy

Well of course I forgot my camera when I went to work yesterday to finish up but I did take some pics of it installed in the car today.

Let me just say that this was a little on the difficult side because if you don't have the u-joints just right they bind up. I have a total of 4 u-jionts and 2 support bearings in my system. This is all mounted to a plate that is bolted to the same location that my old gear box was bolted to, so there are 4 bolts that hold the plate to the frame rail. The steering feels great now and I couldn't be happier with how it turned out!

100_0597.JPG

100_0598.JPG

100_0599.JPG

100_0600.JPG

100_0601.JPG

100_0603.JPG

100_0602.JPG

Guy

That is some crazy linkage! I'm glad to see you locked it all down using those heim joints! I only added one ujoint to my steering to clear the turbo, and it took some setup work to make sure it would not bind. Lots of testing on the hoist before I took it for a drive. I used to think about it while driving initially, but it doesn't bother me anymore, and the car steers just fine on the street, the track, and parking lots. Been installed more than 7 years now!

Just a thought here, but when you say that, unless everything is just right, the steering binds, wouldn't you worry about one of these many critical componets loosening up and binding up your steering at a critical time (like going around a high speed bend)? It just seems like too many joints, supports and links that could loosen up at the wrong time and suddenly, you can't steer. Maybe if it just caused a little slop, that would be acceptable, but a bind?

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ

What I ment by "unless everything is just right it will bind" is that if you don't have the support bearings and u-joints set up right to begin with it will bind. The top support bearing nuts are welded to the plate so the nuts can't turn and the lower support bearing nuts are loctited(red stuff). Worst case senario is that the lower support bearing nuts come a little loose and I will feel that slop in the steering.

Guys do this stuff in race cars all the time. Its not uncome to do what I did in circle track cars.

Guy