HybridZ

auto or stick

Guest 400 ci 280z

A pontiac 400 is a motor with a lot of torque so I would think that a auto might be a better tranny to go with in such a light car. You are the one that has to be pleased with what is in it so put in which ever you want. I just think that an auto would be easer on the drive train and have more control with the torque those motors produce.

Don (ex tripower GTO owener)

Guest 400 ci 280z

thanks for the advice. i am just getting some points of veiw on the subject so the more comments the one really dont care which one. if anybody has used a man. trans what are the problems.

both types of transmissions will work just fine but the pontiac 400-455 engines(one of my favorites)are built for mid range torque and work best in the 2000rpm-6000rpm range and an automatic trans will help keep you in that range and help protect you from missed shifts (something pontiac engines hate) BTW pontiac engines NEED a good intake and head/port work to breath correctly and cams that are in the 235-245 or larger dur range work well only with headers.

I agree with the auto. THe over rev protection is important on the Pontiac motor, unless you go to aftermarket rods. Those motors will spin a rod bearing in a heartbeat if you go much beyond 6000 rpm. I've seen the Pontiac 400 stock bottom end protest in this fashion more than once.

Guest Anonymous

I've riden in a 64, 65 and a 66 GTO tri-power four speeds and a 67 GTO with a 400 automatic with manual gate hurst shifter and to be honest I'm not sure which was faster. The 67 was no slouch at all, it'd burn the tires a half a block if you wanted to.

The four speed cars were a bit more exciting through the gears as the car wanted to go more sideways on each shift, the 67 I think was also a bit heavier. All in all, for the 400 I'd probably use a automatic if for no other reason than to have the shifter be in the normal position and not on the side of the tunnel or to far forward. *shrug*

It really comes down in the end to what you like to drive, as its your car and only you know what you like right? icon_biggrin.gif

Regards,

Lone