HybridZ

Project VQ is Underway!

EMWHYR0HEN

Hmm... So moving it forward 1.25" would improve caster, What other effects would it have on the steering? I don't understand so much about steering geometry, but as much space in front of the engine as I can get would be best. My lack of steering knowlege makes me nervous about making any changes.

Phar

that was interresting, I think I'll stick with the modified crossmember first and see later what I need to do with the Caster. I'm not planning on autocrossing, so hopefully I'll be good with just stock suspension. though I'm still kicking the idea of power steering around. by "U" in the crossmember down and forward under the steering rack I should have plenty of space for the front of the engine., and It should still be plenty strong for the suspension to mount to.

Guh, I need to finish my honey-do list so I can get started on mine...

Before you go and move you x-member forward you need to plan out your over all setup. 7 degrees of caster will have a jacking affect on the front suspension when turning from side to side. Note: High caster angles will have a negative affect on open, gear driven, and light locking (viscous) differentials because you will tend to lift the inside rear wheel.

Higher caster angle also increase road feel and steering feedback in turn also makes higher steering effort. There are also benefits but, I would much rather have an adjustable arm than be stuck with 7 degrees of caster forever.

Hmm yeah that's an interrsting mod set for the plenum, I wonder why they did that, the existing VQ35 plenum is already supposed to breathe very well... Already too the VQ is too tall for a stock hood, so they'll have to put a scoop/bump on that z32.

So I just ordered an ECU and BCM for my 07 VQ-HR. There's a PITA to find from the same car, and nobody gives warranties. Sucks butt, but hey hopefully they'll be in good shape.. paid $260 for the pair which is cheap considering how hard they are to find. 06/2007 trying to get the donor veh VIN.

Dealer shows 2 ECU's for the 07/08 350z's so I should be in good shape. Problem now is finding the under-dash harness, I though I had it, but turned out it was just the engine bay harness.

Phar

Hmm. okay, that's interresting, I thought with the large intake that it breathed well, I don't remember who said it did. I guess that's why Nissan with to the dual TBs.

If he intake was fed more centrally, do you really think it would breath that much more efficiently? I wonder what the stock intake pressure is? not that I'll be making any changes, cept perhaps trying to shave a little height...

Tom, Do you have a build thread on yours?

Phar

Not yet I dont ive been to busy with other cars to work on my Z. The VQ35 acutally needs to be taller IE why the plentum spacers are made. Also if you have an 05(MT) or 06 (AT and MT) the MREV2 intake is a good idea. Although all it really is, is the VQ35de lower mani. with port work.

Great detailed thread, Its changing my mind about a sr20 swap that i wanted for my Z.

But i just wanted to ask how hard is the wiring for this swap

If you have all the wiring, or a donor car like I did you just have to re-route the wiring throughout the chassis, give it power, and ground.