HybridZ

positives and negatives of backhalving a Z????

stony

I'd like to hear opinions on backhalving a Z positive and negative

assuming im getting the most traction i can now with the irs, what kind of performance will i see after the backhalve is done. Assumming it is also setup right. will it reduce or add weight to the car. im pretty sure 60 foot time will come down.

Im thinking with big meats in the back and a good set of hi 4 or low 5 gearing i could see as much as a 1/2 second improvement in 1/4 times. Am i dreaming????

Oh by the way im running a 3.90 rear gear now.

thanks

Guest Anonymous

Positives IMHO: Far less squat, posi and a huge gear ratio selection, hella big meats and the rear end strong enough to take much more throttle/boost off the line without breaking something. Your 60' times will most surely improve. Whether you'll see a .5 sec that I don't know that might be pushing it, but even a .25 will have you in the 10's and from what I remember of your setup you have more boost available, so maybe .5 sec is reasonable. The car will be more structurally tied together which should also improve the cars reaction off the line. NHRA legal once you get into the 10's.

Negatives: Some handling loss (although personally I think its far less than people think), perhaps more weight (although a R230 with big CV's ain't no lightweight either), that may be able to be nullified if you use like aluminum coilovers and light rims. The extra 2x2 or 2x3 framework back there will be heavier for sure no getting around that. Lastly expense, but really with a car with as much horsepower as yours either IRS or solid is going to be expensive if its to live behind that skyline motor.

Those are the ones I can think of, as you might note I'm a bit of a advocate for a solid rear in a car used mostly for drag racing, its tried and true and used by the majority of everyone that seriously drag races a high HP car and doesn't want to go broke replacing things all the time or have the money to go with alternate IRS rears which is usually a wash pricewise. (no flames here please, thats a general statement and my own opinion) Good luck with it. icon_smile.gif

Regards,

Lone

Lone...

agree 100% on everything....

I dont pan on scca or fast driving in the mountains;> all i wanna do is go straight as fast as i can for a 1/4 mile. and not spend a fortune doing it. i want a vertually indestructable rearend that will handle the future build up of the motor.

the weight has got to be very close to the same as all the components of the irs setup includeing struts and everything.

comparing all the frame work to all the stuff that will be cut out should be pretty close also. thats a good idea. im gonna weigh all components that come out and go in including frame and sheetmetal work and see if i gain or lose. car should get heavier with the cage install though. we will see ;>

Guest Anonymous

You know...... I have ridden in plenty of Camaros and Mustangs that have the straight axle and they hanlde like a dream. They also womp ass off the line. I know that the car's handling will ever reach full potential with a straight rear.....but when was the last time you laid the wood to a nice mustang 5.0 and the curves. They rule ass. GOooooo Straight Axle!!! Hooray Dana44 and 12" wide rims.

A idea I had is can a solid rear end be put in without backhaving? I know that it would need torque boxes and link hookups but the idea I had is a solid axle could be taken out with taking out four bolts and undoing the brakes. The IRS can be taken out as a unit also. Could a Z be built that would be able to be switched back and forth depending on the event that is going to be run? icon_biggrin.gif

I would like to have my cake and eat it to.

To bad I can't convince my wife to let me have a girlfriend icon_sad.gif

Just a thought.

Don

Oh by the way moser 35 spline axles were my choice of axles. will be running a full spool with hi 4 or low 5 gearing with a 31 in tire on 15x15 wheels ;> Im thinking this will get me out of the box alot better then the BFG's

Guest Russ240z

If you need leg room I would stay away from ladder bars. Especially if you want a low ride. The average ladder bar is 33 inches long. Pull a tape from the centerline of the rear hub and you will see the ladder bar crossmember is well into the seating area. For big/tall men it is a tight fit. A four-link will cost more but give you a wide array of setup choices and more leg and head room.