HybridZ

Rb series swap questions and purchase sources?

rayaapp2

I have some questions about swapping an RB that arent clearified or answered directly that I can find.

I looked over several threads. BTW one of the links for a guy named Matt at motorworks doesnt work anymore. Its in several posts.

Anyway I am looking into swapping a RB25DET into my 74 260z.

First, I find myself looking over motors and noticing they have 2 types. a first gen and a second gen. After being led around by ppl who I am sure are just trying to off some motor they cannot sell for what they paid for it I am unsure on the real story. I assume its just a wiring difference? Is there an advantage to having the second gen? Improved fuel mapping etc?

Second, I have heard of and seen several RB25DET engines with the mid sump oil pan. I am told they are Laural engines. I dont know for sure. I have read here than most ppl pull the 200zr RB20 pan. There are so many swaps here and variations I am unclear which pans swap and which pans dont. I would think all RB pans interchange including the RB26dett with the diffy in the pan. But that might be to easy. I might end up buying a RB25 engine with a front sump so I thought I would have a handle on figuring out what I should expect.

Third, I am seeing some confusing information about mounts and cross members. I see at least one person swapped a RB20DET into a Z and used the RB20DET engine mounts and the RB20DET trans mount with the early Z transmission cross member. I read that the engine mounts need the locator dowl ground off because it was reversed, but that they bolt up. Is any of this true or did I completely read that wrong or misunderstand it? I have read the RB25 stuff wont bolt over and I can see that plainly. The RB25DET trans cross member looks like a 240sx member. So I know it wont bolt into the Z. I havent looked at the mount so I dont know if it will work on my car. Im I barking up the wrong tree? I am an experienced welder and I have stock so if all else fails I can do it but its nice to just bolt things together esp when the RB20 mounts can be had locally.

Fourth, I have been looking for a thread here. I can find it. I thought it was here at least. I was curious where everyone has purchased their motors. I am very interested in purchasing from NeoTech in SoCal. They have been the most easy to deal with so far and I have at least one recommendation for them. The only other place that I would consider is Tokyomotorimports in Canada. I would only buy from them if someone can tell me they are reputable. They dont take Paypal so I am leary.

Sorry if I asked anything stupid Im prepared for your tar and feathers.

Thanks

Ray

RB20DET mounts don't line up very good. You could do it but the shifter hits the Trans tunnel floor when you try to go in first. Your gonna end up pulling the motor out and making mounts when you see what I'm talking about.

If you could care less how the car looks on the inside and don't mind cutting the trans tunnel opening bigger along with not having the center console, then have at it. Just a heads up:redface:

For sourcing an engine hit up Karim aka "Racer98" on this forum. No BS and an awesome guy. He had a neo RB25 last time I spoke with him. He can also answer your questions about the differences in engines and pans to use. Series 1 and Series 2 use a difference CAS if I remember correctly. I wanted to buy HKS cams from an R34 and couldn't because the CAS was different. All 32 and 33 RB26's are the same and the R34 exhaust cam is different. I have a series 1 and you will find the majority of engines out there to be series 1. I know of two different shops that sell mounts if you need them: Japanese Engine Racing in Westminster CA and Zcargarage in San Jose, CA.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

"Exhaust (Kakimoto) I ordered this thru Matt at motorworx on Okinawa. http://www.motorworx.tv/

I bought the GTR down pipe from the kinser auto hobby shop USMC then had it modified by matt to fit the 260z install. basically cut it in half then welded a couple of bends in it to fit"

This web site is noted several times on this site.

The link doesnt work. the site doesnt exist. Can Someone update this or is it just gone.