HybridZ

HELLPP! torque pound per feet for new tire

Guest nicebass

Guest nicebass

I have a 1975 datsun 280Z and I'm getting new tires at the costco and they need to know the torque pound per feet pressure so they won't do it too tight or loose. Does anyone know where I could find this information. I really need new tires badly and need this info soon. They want some legitimate source. If anyone has any information on this I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Hmm that's one of the things I never did pay attention to. I mean, taking a 4 point tire wrench and tighten it till it feels nice and snug always works good. Hell when I was 15 that was good enough on a 12.00s vw.

anyways according to my 78 FSM (should be the same for all of them)

it's 58-65 for steel wheels and 58-72 for aluminum wheels. SO, I would just tell them to tighten them to 60ft*lb

I personaly always tighten mine to 80 lb/ft. I tighten in incriments, starting at 40 lb/ft then 60 lb/ft and final torque 80 lb/ft. The other thing that "I" do which could be considered overkill is I make sure the wheel is unloaded (no weight on the wheel) engage the brakes and then torque the lug nuts.

Dragonfly

I personaly always tighten mine to 80 lb/ft. I tighten in incriments, starting at 40 lb/ft then 60 lb/ft and final torque 80 lb/ft. The other thing that "I" do which could be considered overkill is I make sure the wheel is unloaded (no weight on the wheel) engage the brakes and then torque the lug nuts.

Dragonfly

I'd call that overkill, but at least you have the confidence of knowing your lugs are absolutely properly tightened.