HybridZ

shining valve covers

youngblood

THANX for the + feedback guys. much apreshiated. and YES! i had practicly all polished aluminum engine. noticed i said ALUMINUM.. not CHROME... " JUST IMAGINE HAVING THE SHINE OF CHROME UNDER YOUR HOOD WITHOUT AL THE EXTRA WEIGHT, LET ALONE THE CHROME TURNING YELLOWISH BECAUSE OF THE HEAD" .... sounds nice huh ;) i just dont do covers. i do other parts too. if you can ship it.. i can polish it haha :P and of coarse... if you can PAY for it :D

do you coat them with a high-temp clear, or do we have to set up a yearly polishing schedule. LOL

aluminum has a tendency to corrode and pit, no?

Negative. i leave the coating to your jurisdiction. i dont really coat them. when u get them back u can choose wha to do with it :).

i really dont know how your cover started to rust. i dont think aluminum rusts... but thats just me. ive had a l28 cover laying around for a year and a half outside in my backyard and all it seems its like its all DULL looking whiteish kinda. but i session with my polishing and itl bring it back to life haha.

Negative. i leave the coating to your jurisdiction. i dont really coat them. when u get them back u can choose wha to do with it :).

I might end up coating mine with Duplicolor High-temp clear.

i really dont know how your cover started to rust. i dont think aluminum rusts... but thats just me. ive had a l28 cover laying around for a year and a half outside in my backyard and all it seems its like its all DULL looking whiteish kinda. but i session with my polishing and itl bring it back to life haha.

I'd imagine it's steel, and not aluminum. Either way, my L28 cover has these hairline cracks or some small webbing in it. I'd like to know how to get the pits out, or what grit to start with :-/

Careless,

Either you sand the material until there is no more dimple, or at your liking and polish from there. I have seen many polished parts...majority of them have defect such as cast marking. They where still there, I guess it depends how fussy you are. Remember that you have to upkeep it as well, polish it all the time.

• 6 months later...

I'm just gonna run this by since it's a polishing thread, I planned on using 1000 grit sandpaper to remove blemishes, then one of those stupid polishing balls you attach to a drill with some aluminum polish to make it shiny. I already dipped the V-cover in parts cleaner to remove the oil and gunk, dremeled away the casting(?) marks, and smoothed away all the really rough stuff. I figure that my idea will work, but am starting to have doubts after seeing the work superduner is doing. Has anyone else tried the method that I am using or am I dooming myself to failure??

Honestly just cough up the money for superduner to do it. It is so much work getting these to look good and it really depends on the tools you have. For the price you cant beat letting him do it.

If you really enjoy sitting on the floor for hours sanding a piece of metal go for it.

challenger's right polishing the are a pain and a half, im new to nissans but have polished alot of other valve covers trying to hustle up money for my zx, and it works cuz these honda and dsm guys pay pretty good money to get a lil bling on there sh*t lol, they might be mad if they knew they were funding a nissan build lol

challenger's right polishing the are a pain and a half, im new to nissans but have polished alot of other valve covers trying to hustle up money for my zx, and it works cuz these honda and dsm guys pay pretty good money to get a lil bling on there sh*t lol, they might be mad if they knew they were funding a nissan build lol

yes my friend... they indeed would be mad if they only knew :P surprizingly enough most of the peeps want me me to do work on their aluminum parts have been people ion the east coast. or black dudes here in san diego ( no harm or offense meant)

common peeps.. we al know how we all love that bling :P

thanx for the support guys :) yeah polishing has never really been child's play but the right tools really make things alot faster for some of us.

personally id hate to sand down and rub rub rub on something for days to make it look half as good as the ones ive shown :P OH! speaking of wich. here's another TEASE :P and NO they're not chromed ;)

0110091344.jpg

cover2.jpg

Granted, superduner does awesome work, but if I pay him to make my cover shiny, where can I brag that I did all the work myself. Since I bought the car, the most that anyone else has touched it was I had a buddy help me change the master cylinder while we had beer and barbeque. But back to my question, will my method work. I have already started and since I have a spare cover I can't really screw anything up.

Granted, superduner does awesome work, but if I pay him to make my cover shiny, where can I brag that I did all the work myself. Since I bought the car, the most that anyone else has touched it was I had a buddy help me change the master cylinder while we had beer and barbeque. But back to my question, will my method work. I have already started and since I have a spare cover I can't really screw anything up.

WHERE THERE's A WILL, THERES A WAY :D

you can definetly make that puppy shine. personally before i got into what i "do" i used MOTHERS MAG CREAM polisher. it works miracles. i used to do it by hand tough. and yeah i know what youre thinking " damn sore hands and fingers anyone ? " yeah but it got a nice shine to it. once you do the first pass with mothers adn get it nice and shiny. grab cotton. get it damp with rubbing alcohol. and clean the valver cover as good as you can to remove any leftover mothers chemicals and dust. and REPEAT mothers polish. the second coat you might not think is necessary but if you ask me :) i noticed a difference. THEN its up to you wether or not you want to grab some rustolium CLEAR and spray a coa or two of clear so you dont have to keep polishing it over and over again. GRANTED the clear coat MIGHT chipp off due to heat or NOT. but its what i would do :) do yo thang bro, post some pics and let us know how it went.

I will chime in here to add to superduner's advice about clear.

VHT makes a 1500*F Degree Clear that is easy to apply. DO NOT SPRAY it in a cold environment or an item that is somewhat less than room temperature.

What I would do is find someone with an old oven in their garage, heat up the valve cover a little bit so that it's warm, and then spray the VHT on the valve cover while it's in a baking tray or something. YOU CAN also use a propane torch with a heat deflector or even a ceramic room heater to put the valve cover beside and let it sit and get warm, then spray (with the part far away from the heat source) and then bring the part back and let it sit near the heat source again. Be warned that if your heat source has a fan, you may want to enclose the sides of the valve cover in a breathable,lint-free box, or you will get lint in your clear... and on its 4th coat, it's quite hard to remove.

I've gotten great results without even heating the parts, but I'm sure the results would be even greater with a warm part to bond to.

I now spray all my stuff that will be close to heated sources with it. Valve covers, Timing Covers, Manifolds I do too- but only if the manifold has been sprayed with a paint that is of the same make (sprayed it over top of other stuff and it flaked fast- i.e. a couple of starts and idle-tunes).

Just don't let it run, or you will get a nice yellow drip. If it dries thin, it will not yellow.

Superduner are you still polishing valve covers? I'm interested in getting mine done for my '72.

Thanks

Dave

yeah man hit me up in a PM if youre interested in getting some parts done. :) are you sure you dont wanna try to do it yourself first? :P hahahaha jk

• 1 month later...

check it out guys :) i Just got this Beautiful show quality TURBO VC done for ATTYOUNG911 ... which i am SURE he will love. what do you think ?

here are some pics. somehow the BEFORE (stock) pic was lost from my cellphone perhaps he has one he can post. as for me i cna post the AFTER pics ENJOY

0525091350.jpg

0525091350a.jpg

So clean you can see your face on it and NO... its not chrome ...

0525091352.jpg