Destroyed my Catylitic Converter (pics)

hughdogz

I think the pics tell the story...

cat_1.jpg

cat_4.jpg

cat_5.jpg

cat_7.jpg

WTF?! There's briquettes inside, LOL!

What clued me in was that I couldn't get past 5000 RPM at the track last week (Drag racing at Portland International Raceway).

Then, the next day I couldn't generate more than about 5 pounds of boost.

I cleaned out all the junk, and now I can hardly keep the boost below 16 pounds!! :icon54:

I'd better do quicker than a 15.5 in the 1/4 mile tonight...wish me luck. :icon14:

Later, -hughdogz

Skib filmed this tonight at PIR. I made a HUGE improvement over last time!! :icon14:

Last time: ~15.5 @ 85 MPH, 2.6 60' time.

This time: 14.174 @ 98.21 MPH, 2.124 60' time, .158 R/T

Youtube Vid:

I blew a head gasket on this run, but it was a 25 year-old stock head / turbo / exhaust anyway.

Guest 280ZForce

man who uses cats anymore? haha

you should just replace with with a straight through magnaflow cat or run no cat at all.

But congrats on the improved times... what was different between your 15.5 and 14.174 times?

haha thats great. when i took my cat off to switch over to the twice pipes, you could see right on through to the other side of the cat. so i guess mine wasn't plugged up as much but man did i feel the power when i first started it up w/o it.

hopefully i can pass smog w/o it...jus gotta get past the visual inspection :P

Hey thanks for all the comments guys! :icon43:

Prox is right, I think the plugged cat was holding me back, so I hollowed it out and gained a second and a half! :icon15:

My next project is to install a mildly ported and polished head, ported exhaust manifold, T3/T04E, ulitmate internal wastegate (if it fits), 3" downpipe and exhaust to a straight-through Borla XR-1 muffler, and a 3" dual-3" out tip. :eek2:

It will be tight as hell to fit, but I think it will work.

If I had the Wolf's PWM boost controller tuned correctly, I wouldn't have misfired / backfired in 1st gear on my track vid...I could almost be in the 13's with what I have now. :rolleyes:

My OEM head gasket finally gave up the ghost on my last pass (150k original motor, never rebuilt or head pulled). I guess it's time for some upgrades early...ARP head studs now added to the list. :icon54:

Just wait until you clean all that stuff out of your living room and put it where it belongs, on your car.:-D

The Rat is going be keeping pace with you if you don't do it soon :icon54:;)

Skib, wake up...you're sleep-surfing again! Haha, just kidding Man.

I know...I know!! :wink: Nose to the gridstone is the only way...:icon54:

Now that you've fixed the symptom, what do you think caused it?

The previous owner had replaced the OEM cat with a "high-flow" unit, just before I bought her six years ago. I only put on ~3-4k miles a year...so I don't think the failure was from old age.

I think it might have been that I'm running too rich in some spots of my fuel map. What made it finally fall on it's face was after datalogging some REALLY rich areas (9-11 AFR's) under atmospheric load.

I have a 3" high-flow cat to install when I get the 3" exhaust going this winter. That is, install the cat after I lean out the map properly. :wink:

Egads...PIR!

You ever remember a guy back in 94 or 95 that got to the final 16's in Bracket Eliminations running an Oldsmobile with Avis Rent-a-Car Plate Surrounds? Got eliminated when he went way too slow due to a tranny letting go?

No?

Good. That means there's no way to trace it back to anybody.

Same as the Nissan Sentra at Farmington N.C. two years ago....

Muahahahaha!

Nice photos and vids!!!

• 1 month later...
do you have to run a cat? you don't have to in Kansas, mine is set up 6 to one into a resonator and into the muffler, I am not an exhaust expert but does the cat really do anything other than make hippies happy? :P

It makes the government hippies happy, yes.

I'm in TN, and have to run cats because I live in a surrounding area to Nashville. Nashville +surrounding areas and Memphis are the only places in TN that require it on post-'75 vehicles. If I lived just another 20 miles south, I'd be clear. Sucks, huh?:P