HybridZ

300ZX seats into a 280ZX

David87LS

I put some 300zx seats in my 82zxt. They were definitely not a bolt-in fit. Passenger side was easy -- drilled a couple of new holes and bolted the 280zx rails to the 300zx seat, then it fit nicely. Couldn't do the same to the driver's seat because of the seat height adjustment mechanism. Ended up using the 300zx rails, drilling new holes, bending the rear of the left rail, and using a spacer under the rear of the right rail, if I remember correctly. The driver's seat mounted a little higher than the original seat, not too bad, but a bit too close to the bottom of the steering wheel. Later on, I installed a smaller steering wheel, and now I like the seat position.

Bill in San Diego

I did the same as Bill in San Diego, almost 8years ago. But I used the 300ZX seat rails, I did not use the 280ZX rails. You need to make a bridge spacer (I did mine out of aluminum, easy to cut and drill and work with) for both the driver and passenger side and re-drill the 300ZX rails based on the bolts holes in the 280ZX floor. Pretty easy actually, hard on the back lifting the seats in and out of the car though. Thes are absolutely beautiful, comfortable and hard wearing seats - highly recommended!

Here is an old pic:

8590619.jpg

Regards - Yasin

It was a ghetto bolt-in (read: not "securely" mounted) for me. Didn't modify anything. Just used a bunch of washers and a new, longer bolt (I want to say 50mm) on the rear tunnel-side. The inner rail got clamped with washers, the outer got bolted straight through. The outer rear was spaced up about 1.25 inch, the inner rear about 5/8 inch. Play with the stack until the seats slides freely.

Doesn't seem like it'd be real secure, but it's held up for over a year and hasn't budged at all. I plan to upgrade to a more "proper" mounting when I have the means, but this works fine for now.

So what Im reading here is if I pull a pair of 300zx seats out of a donor and buy either aluminum spacer material or a stack of washers they will fit? This is great if accurate because I just pulled the 85 seats out to put 86 in my 85NA. The design of the 86 to 89 seats are really nice. My wife thought I was nuts until she borrowed my car and told me she had to have them in her 82ZX. I feel like Im sitting in a hole when Im in that car.

thanks,

david

did the swap for customer, even hooked them up so he had power adjust and the little air pump for lumbar and such. because the power motor on the driver side the cross member had to go and be changed. made for less leg room and less head room tho, i didnt like it, but he was short and loved it

• 3 years later...

You bumped an old thread.

Anyway when I did this, the passanger was so close I just had to bend the **** out of on of the tabs to make it bolt in. For the driver I actually just cut the 280zx tabs off and welded them in the correct position on the 300zx tabs.

lmao looks weird to see seats in a z... i havent had any in mine for about a year now.... is that when you know you've been bit by the "while im at it bug"?

haha. I believe so. Mine hasn't had seats in it for over a year now either.

• 1 month later...