HybridZ

Miller econotig torch compatibilty

jerryb

if you ask around you may find a complete used tig welder with liquid cooled torch in a 200-350 amp range in an older model, quite reasonably, ask at welding shops alot of them would love to upgrade thier welders if they could get anything close to decent on the sale of the used equipment they use now

I got an older 330 amp MILLER TIG with liquid cooled torch & pump, gauges etc for under

$1k

Miller 330A/BP Tig/Stick Welder

jerry, i've had my miller 180sd for about 5 years now. i've upgraded the torch to a heavier air cooled torch rated for 200amps when the welder only does 180. the torch that came with it was only rated for 150 so obviously if it sees a lot of use, it is going to get hot. i've not had any issues with my welder, or the torch getting too hot to hold onto. i'll weld all day long a 120 and only wear light gloves. the only time i put on heavy gloves it to weld heavy aluminum because the material heats up more than the torch does.

for $80 you can't go wrong when you are investing in learning. when you get a torch, look into getting a gas lense setup for it as well. it will make life much easier and really drop the learning curve. drop by the shop some time, i've got a spare helmet so i can give you some pointers if you like.

aaron

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice, any progress reports? I'm also a pipefitter by trade and doin somewhat of the same build up minus the full tube frame, im doing the 10pt cage and suspension. That is a bonafied steal on an econotig, all I use is miller and they have one in the plant's shop: im subcontracted. I've used it many times and does very well for the price range. That machine will do any steal you would like, enjoy!!

RK

Very nice, any progress reports?

RK

Fired it up late last week and it works perfectly! My buddy layed a few beads on SS and they looked perfect.....looked like he used that particular welder all his life.

Then I tried.........Let's just put it this way...I need a lot more torch time!

:cry2::cry2: :cry2::cry2:

Im sure I will get the hang of it but its obvious that practice make perfect so I will probably go back to his scrap bin Saturday morning and practice some more more and more.

It not as easy as he makes it appear! LOL:cry2:

Great man that sounds awesome. Watch your friend whos proficient and get yourself 15 hours on that torch and youll knock 'em out! Your speed and uniformity all come with hrs and hrs of welding, I still have a ton to learn and I Tig 4 hrs of everyday most weeks

RK

Sorry to hijack the thread but this seems like a good place to post this question, rather than start a new thread. Im a beginner welder, never touched a torch in my life, and I want to teach myself how to weld.

What plant would you guys recomend the econoline? How much would you guys recoomend I budget for a welder?

Also I want to be able to TIG weld aluminum, and the usual steel.

Sorry to hijack the thread but this seems like a good place to post this question, rather than start a new thread. Im a beginner welder, never touched a torch in my life, and I want to teach myself how to weld.

What plant would you guys recomend the econoline? How much would you guys recoomend I budget for a welder?

Also I want to be able to TIG weld aluminum, and the usual steel.

Welcome to welding but I must warn you that UV light does something to your brain lol. The best starter to welding is your local welding supply store and ask who has the best vocational programs and practice on the schools welders and materials....

Its best to get lots of training before buying your own machine or you run a great deal of risks on your equipment. If you must buy a welder, Miller is the best, just try and flame me on that internet welders rotfl... They just came out with the "Deversion 165" TIG and it will do AL, SS, carbon steel, Titanium, as long as you dont go over 1/4" on your stock..

Too much heat there fella.Play with your amperage, start low and work up to and beyond the sweet spot. This will help you know whats good, whats not enough and whats too much. Once you figuer that out,setting up the machine for the weld at hand will be a snap.Practice,practice,practice...