HybridZ

New to the forum and in need of help

Guest Dunfor240z

Guest Dunfor240z

Hi im not new to the forums ive been reading post about rb's and swaps for about 2 months now how ever this is my first post (dont flame me to bad if i sound like a fool).

Ive recently decided to go for a 1971-73 datsun 240z and drop in and RB25det. But do to a complete lack of car knowledge other then go fast and look pretty Ive found my self at a sort of a dead end.

The car Ive found is in good shape other then some general wear and tear from time ( origanal paint etc good price 2500 =D). So ive found myself searching for where to get an engine. Recently Ive decided to go with a front clip r33 manual rwd trans( do to the fact of I dont know much and I want the car running asap w/o having to spend months searching for parts here and there). I think ive found a good one but i need some advice.

Just general DONT BUY IT IF..... and wether anyone has dealed with this place or not ive grown to trust the opinion of the forum in general (seems like there is more then enough people here to keep dumb ***'s from blurting **** out and pretending to know something they dont).

Here it is

http://www.jrautoparts.com/clip_nissan_RB25.htm

What else would I need? the mechanic I have will do the work but wont search around for parts IE I want a complete asembly so he can just do it. tongue.gif

The mechanic fabs his own mounts so no need for that but what else will i need to get it on the road? And what do you guys think of the dealer for the front clip any advice? I will be going to the dealers before I buy the clip so I can check it out in person.

ANY good advice will be helpful ( please if you think i can name the thread better let me know =D) thanks for the time =D

They seem a bit questionable to me as they cannot even properly label technical details on some of their products. I would not buy from them unless you can compression test, leakdown test and otherwise generally inspect the engine first. Likewise, be absolutely SURE you know the visual difference between an RB20 and an RB25 transmission as some places sell an RB25DET powertrain swap with an RB20 trans.

before you go spending anything. I'd suggest getting your automotive skills up a bit. The engine swap is quite easy if you have an engine hoist and a buddy. Also, get the right installation gear. Mounts/driveshaft. If you have no experience with wiring send it out to be done. After those issue are handled. Keep a handy automotive tech that knows cars around. Most times even the forum can not lead in the right direction due to lack of input on the owners side. If this is your first swap ever it might take more time than you think. Also consider if your chasis needs attention due to rust or poor metal qualities. If you look around at most of these guys chasis. They have been through a restore of some sort and a good general amount of them aren't new to z cars. Don't buy that car untill you have a body shop check it out. It may look solid but ask around. That car could just be a junker with you spending another 3-5000 in body work. Also, keep in mind this is not a cheap swap! I myself have an s13 chasis with an rb25det swap. It wasn't inexpensive but it was alot easier with mckinney hardware.

also, i know it's a front clip. Motorset is simply the way to go. keep in mind the shipping cost.

Guest Dunfor240z

Thanks for all the response's my buddy has alot more experiance then me and has all the hardware him self. He did a KA swap on his s13 (had a busted up ca in it). Also ive been checking out other peoples projects and reading up mckinney looks like the place ill go to get the wiring done and buy the mount kit from.

Thanks for the advice about the car purchase when im looking at a 240z (other then just apperance) when I take it into a body shop what should I ask them to look at? Just a solid frame or what?

look in the body kit paint forum. You'll see the usual areas of rusted through metal. rails to hatch to floor pans and battery trays. Have a look at one of those and then you'll understand how much your really getting yourself into. :shock:

I would also add another great trick is to bring a fridge magnet with you. The soft kind you slap on the fridge. Place it at multiple spots all over the car and if it doesn't stick then you have thick bondo and/or other hidden problems.

If you haven't sourced your engine yet hit up Karim aka "Racer98" on this forum. Awesome guy and I have hit him up for stuff that was near impossible to get and he came through.

Bear in mind this is not a cheap swap. Lots of other choices much cheaper. RBs are terrific motors but make sure you understand what you are getting into.

Welcome to Hybridz and Good luck,

Guest Dunfor240z

trying to get ahold of karim sent him a message on yahoo cant figure out how to do a pm thru the forum looked him up on members list but couldnt find the pm option