HybridZ

Turbo Exhaust Manifoild Gasket ...Sealant?

Zraced...

The best solution is to have it skimmed, then use a genuine Nissan turbo manifold gasket.

After numerous leaks, I finally did that, what was recommended to me, and never had another manifold leak issue.

I have heard of guys having it skimmed, then using copper coat sealant w/o a gasket.... your choice.

Have you established the reason why it's leaking?

Sealer isn't normally used at this junction and I don't really think that it would solve the problem. It's time to take your manifolds off and run a straight edge over your exhaust manifold to see if the mounting face is true. It could also be that the manifold gasket was too old and just failed or that the nuts holding it on there loosened up or one of the studs into the head gave out. :(

A few things to check and do. Don't use any sealer.

Cheers.

Check Flat, Nissan Turbo Gasket, Kopr-Kote gasket to prevent adhesion and promote several re-uses. I have routinely used the Turbo Gasket over up to 5 times before chucking it into the 'Just in Case Parts Bin'

They look good, but a Fel-Pro Seminar I went to back in the early 90's said Graphoil Composite Exhaust Gaskets were designed for re-use and re-compression for up to five cycles. So even if they look good, I usually retire them after that point. I have successfully taken them out of 'The Bin' to put on other vehicles that roll into the yard and need a gasket for this or that, where I don't perticularly feel like I want to spend any money on them at this point in time...

The Nissan Turbo Gasket is nice and compressy, and the Kopr-Kote promotes sliding for the heat / cool expansion the manifold does in normal operation.

So a "Nissan Turbo Gasket" is different than a Nissan non Turbo Gasket ?,

since Nissan never brought out Turbo L28 to Australia (to my knowledge) it may be difficult to buy one off these

This may be a issue for my desire to turbo my L24, would a normal gasket (the metal type , not the "extractor" type work with the turbo manifold,

would I need to put graphite powder on it, to make it "slippery"

sorry for hijacking,

Nigel

The best solution is to have it skimmed, then use a genuine Nissan turbo manifold gasket.

After numerous leaks, I finally did that, what was recommended to me, and never had another manifold leak issue.

I have heard of guys having it skimmed, then using copper coat sealant w/o a gasket.... your choice.

+ 1 on Joel's reply! That s what I did..

Regards - Yasin

I had a problem with a Turbo Tom exhaust manifold. After 3 different exhause gaskets (including 2 Nissan gaskets I decided to try something else. The problem was a casting error and Tom must had a problem too. There was not enough metal for the gasket material to cover the #6 exhaust outlet. I used some 12gauge solid copper wire to fashion a copper gasket held with hi-temp silicone. Worked well until I decided to do something else.