HybridZ

Cleaning an engine with water

datz280

I have my block back from the machine shop and was reading the How to books. It is recommended to clean the block with a soap and water. My concern is using water to flush the oil galleys and making sure it is all out upon assembly, I don't want my block to rust. I will use WD40 to disperse the water from the block and bores. I guess I am asking for some reassurance that this is what everyone does with their blocks when they receive them from a machine shop.

Mike

I think you missed the exact quote they used: HOT soapy water. The hotter the better. It helps if the block is somewhat warm before you wash it as well as it aids in drying. Steam Cleaning or hot water washing that gets the block to 150F is a nice way to get it dry failry good, and then paint what needs to be painted, and WD 40 the rest.

The thing about hot blocks and washing---pores. Anything you put on it will 'soak in' to the extent possible, and 'weep out' over time. Think of it like an oilite bearing kinda... That WD will go in deep to the pores and keep water displaced for some time if you do this operation while the block is hot.

Plus, Hot Water and Simple Green or Dawn Dishwashing Liquid cuts grease and oil (surfectant action) much better when hot than when cold. Even with light machining oil, or water soluable cutting oil.

Hot as you can stand it through those latex dishwashing gloves!

Alcohol only combines with the water, it does NOT disblace it.

It's a fine point, to be sure, but WD 40 (as much as I hate the stuff) DOES physically displace water. Moves it out of things and replaces it with itself.

If you have ever seen a rusty nut in the bottom of an open vodka bottle, you will realize using alcohol to 'remove' water from ferrous alloys is only so effective.

Alcohol combines with water, but the corrosive effects of the water are still possible...if you've ever wiped alcohol onto a piece of 4340 that is polished, you can see water droplets left behind if someone was lax in capping even the 'good' 99% technical grade isopropyl stuff used to clean high speed (50K+) rotating equipment bearing jounrals and etc.

But when you spray it lightly with WD, you will see water droplets coalesce and drop away if large enough. It's a wierd compound, and how it does it I don't know...but as a penetrating oil IMO it sucks. As a water displacement compond, it's hard to beat. I buy both Isoproply 99% Technical Grade, and WD 40 by the gallon can for my work.

One is for cleaning, one is for driving out water. At least the way I see it.