HybridZ

Stereo system install

wigenOut-S30

Well.. heh.. WHILE IM AT IT bug bites again!!.. While Im still waiting on saving money for a new turbo I decide to install all of my stereo stuff in the Z. Mids and highs are MB quart 5-1/4 mids 2"highs with a MBquart crossover. Sub is a Eclipse 8" I have a Alpine 400w mono amp for the sub, A kenwood 150w amp will push the mids and Highs. Up front I have 2 polk audio tweeters and thats it. The head unit is a older kenwood that I hope to replace soon. After the install is done you shouldnt be able to really see anything but it should sound really nice. Here are some progress pics so far.

DSC00569.JPG

DSC005681.JPG

DSC00566.JPG

DSC005652.JPG

More to come...

Any particular reason why youve mounted the speakers there?

Have always been curious about "where to put the speakers" in any early Z to be honest, was thinking about putting some nice 16x9s where the "storage" compartments are, and some tweeters where the air ducts are in the dash.

Have always been curious about "where to put the speakers" in any early Z to be honest, was thinking about putting some nice 16x9s where the "storage" compartments are, and some tweeters where the air ducts are in the dash.

Well the 5-1/4s are in a stock location for speakers in the 280Z. I used to have 4" coaxial units in there.. The tweeters actually just happen to fit perfectly a resessed hole there. I also have 2 tweeters up front at the start of the center console. I just went home and sound tested everything.. and WHOLY CRAP!! it sounds awesome!!! .. the cockpit in the Z is so small it just sounds really crisp clear and perfect amount of bass with my 8" sub.. I will take more pics when everything is buttoned up..

Well the 5-1/4s are in a stock location for speakers in the 280Z. I used to have 4" coaxial units in there.. The tweeters actually just happen to fit perfectly a resessed hole there. I also have 2 tweeters up front at the start of the center console. I just went home and sound tested everything.. and WHOLY CRAP!! it sounds awesome!!! .. the cockpit in the Z is so small it just sounds really crisp clear and perfect amount of bass with my 8" sub.. I will take more pics when everything is buttoned up..

I noticed how they seem to fit there like a glove, didnt realise you had a 280z *takes head out of the sand*, when testing at higher volumes, did you ever experience shell vibration issues at all? Alot of home setups Ive seen, even at low volumes, causes alot of "buzzing" from the exterior of the car.

I've seen people cut out the Spare Tyre recess and make custom subwoofer platforms, I'm personally going to use the Spare Tyre recess for a Fuel Cell, I'm sure I'll think of something.

Can't wait to see the setup when its all nice and clean, bro.

PS : Jealous as, you've met the legendary Big Phil!

I noticed how they seem to fit there like a glove, didnt realise you had a 280z *takes head out of the sand*, when testing at higher volumes, did you ever experience shell vibration issues at all? Alot of home setups Ive seen, even at low volumes, causes alot of "buzzing" from the exterior of the car.

I've seen people cut out the Spare Tyre recess and make custom subwoofer platforms, I'm personally going to use the Spare Tyre recess for a Fuel Cell, I'm sure I'll think of something.

Can't wait to see the setup when its all nice and clean, bro.

PS : Jealous as, you've met the legendary Big Phil!

LOL yeah Phil is a great dude!!.. I plan on using alittle dynomat around the speakers themselves.. and sound dead material all on the floors when I install new carpet..

LOL yeah Phil is a great dude!!.. I plan on using alittle dynomat around the speakers themselves.. and sound dead material all on the floors when I install new carpet..

Big Phils the reason how I found HybridZ.org and I guess the final nail in the coffin to my search for a Z, was lurking on Youtube about a year ago, just kept going from link to link and found a clip of him belting around in his sinister Turbo 280z. Just seems like the most genuine bloke ever.

Sounds like a plan with the dynomat and sound deadening, what brand of material you looking to use for the floors?

EDIT : what were your original plans for it, something to just be able to crank at 110%? crisp high end or dark low end? mate of mine only listens to Drum and Bass, and the amount of low end power his system has is bullsh!t, put something with a high end on it, blaring rock or metal, whatever and it just sounds ♥♥♥♥, all depends on the setup I guess and amount of insulation you have to contain the vibration.

Well, Im closer to being done, all of the dynomat is behind the 5-1/4s all the wiring is done as well as fused. I used 4 gauge wire coming from the battery, fused it, then went to a splitter and used 8 guage wire to power the amps. They are grounded by 8 gauge wire as well. I reinstalled my interior panels as well as cut a hole for the tweeter and made a grill for it. I still have to make a new sub box and flush it in the spare tire well. Oh, also in the pics you will see my old kenwood head unit and front tweeters as well as my new Grant steering wheel. It is leather and feels awesome!!.

Stay tuned.. MORE TO COME!!

DSC00570.JPG

DSC00572.JPG

DSC00575.JPG

DSC005761.JPG

DSC005771.JPG

DSC005821.JPG

DSC005841.JPG

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I tried using 6x9s in the storage compartments for a while but they never sounded quite right in there. The sound was always louder on the opposite side of the car. Hrm... mine were pointing up from the storage compartment openings, though. Might sound better if the openings were sealed and holes were cut for the speakers behind the seats on the vertical surface of each compartment.

Doing the 5 1/4 speakers in each kick panel and in the rear quarters in this thread might be a good way to go.