HybridZ

Doing the Jimmy Durante on the hood

blueovalz

your work is awesome, but since this is an opinion thread, I think that is going to make the hood look really really ugly...

I'm sorry Terry, I love eveything about the car, except for that hood addition. The profile is just not as menacing as the rest of the car.

Maybe a new hood altogether? More work but I mean... has that ever stopped you? lol.

I'm going to have to vote for the idea of exposed stacks. I think that adding a bubble to your current hood would go against the lines and overall look that you have already created.

I don't think that the protruding stacks would kill the look at all; it would make it look all that more menacing ;)

Yep, the bubble was simply a microcosm of the method used to build the entire body.

Do you have writeup on your foam procedure / fiberglassing method? Or something on the net you used?

Where do you get that foam and what does it go for?

Your finished fiberglass piece, was that the final product from the original glass work or was the original glass used to just make the mold, then you made another one from the mold?

Sorry if the questions seem dumb. I've been here a few years and can't recall seeing a thread like this before, very nice work!

Do you have writeup on your foam procedure / fiberglassing method? Or something on the net you used?

His photo documentation link is right there and leads to an extensive menu of the car's build-up. Also, if you look up all of Terry's posts, you'll find that information; I believe he's shared that information before here somewhere. He's one heck of an engineer and designer!! :2thumbs:

Davy

Thanks DavyZ. If you'll email me (don't PM because I cannot attach the Word document), I'll reply with a very short write-up on what I did. The body is the original fiberglass work (the plug basically), and NO, I did not bondo any of it to the car. Its either bolted on or riveted into place (this was to prevent future cracking or splitting along the bond). I used floral foam (the very fine, soft fragile type instead of the coarse hard crispy type) because resin will not react to it and thus I don't need to cover it with tape to prevent it from dissolving from the resin (blocks were hot-glued into place). This was a simple production at home with no fancy tools or equipment, but it took a lot of time, elbow grease, and patience.