HybridZ

Engine was perfect... now it won't start after I cleaned it...

Hey Guys,

My 280z was perfect, started up fine, ran great, only 83k original miles.

Anyways, today, I cleaned up inside the engine a bit, using a towel and some orange type cleaner spray.

So I started it up, and it started up and hesitates (the charge light blinks and it feels like it was going to die), rev'd it, and it hesitates after I let go of the throttle.

After a couple of times it died and starting up, it doesn't start up anymore. It was night time, but I think I saw some sparks coming from the spark plug wires in one area, although it physically looked fine.

What could be the cause? Did I knock something loose?

Sounds to me like you found some of the non-liquid tight electrical devices on your engine. A lot of searching and reading will tell you specificaly which pieces to open up and dry as I don't know them myself (carbed and simple), but I can tell you if it has a wire attached to it and a way to open it up... open it up and make sure it is dry and not corroded and has a good ground. As a side note it is always best to try something you have never done before in daylight much less chance of an "oh crap" situation.

Dragonfly

Tach stuck i would say. if it was electrical it would drop to 0 when car is off, and jump to it's fixed position as the car is turned on and the current hits the sender unit. a physically stuck needle will stay where it's stuck all the time.

HTH

Did you rinse it off with water hose?? If so you most likly have water in the elec connectors, dist cap, plug wires if not new will hold water and make for rough idle/running.. blow/dry all connestors and cap and wires.. After you get it running right again and at an idle you can spray the ign wires with a spray bottle and see if it starts to miss if so replace wires..