HybridZ

The job thread. What do you do for a living?

Sideways

I'm a full time college student. My major is Health Science with a concentration in Pre- Physician Assistant. I'm not sure what I want to do after I graduate in a year. I'm still young (just turned 20 two months ago) so this may be a contributor on why I'm not sure on what I want to do with my life. I'm thinking about becoming a doctor in family practice or a professor at a college. If I want the easy way out I'll become a Physician Assistant because they still make very good money with less headaches.

Oh for money for my z car, food, and tuition I do a little custom farming (mostly baling small square bails) for people.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm a career counselor at the University of Denver (19 years) and run the internship program there. Was a Honda tech in a former life. Got an A&P license that I never used but school was fun. Trying to get into the garage more often to work on my ZX. Just shaved my beard after 41 years - it's a hoot when I look in a mirror. 59 1/2 years old - in my mind, I feel like I'm 20 but the body feels a wee bit older. Life is good.

John

i am working as a military vehicle mechanic in iraq.worked ford dealerships as a tech for years-there isnt any money in auto repair any more.the pay(in california) hasnt gone up much since the 90s.but the price of everything else has doubled.so after being layed off i took a year off.working in this business is called contracting-you signed up for a 1 year contract.alot of things about it suck but its a great way to pay off bills fast-like my house.no more credit cards.it would be a great way for a uti grad to pay off a student loan and get some good experience.

I work in the CAD industry. I used to do contract work, designing fixtures to inspect turbine engine castings, modeling turbines from 2D drawings to 3D, reverse-engineering castings for pattern shops, etc.

Now I test the software I used to use. For the past few years, I've been testing the Simulation (CAE) software that works on top of the CAD software used mostly for machine design. Dynamic Simulation and Stress Analysis (FEA).

I really like my job a lot, but it has been challenging and time consuming lately. I work closely with a worldwide team of mechanical and software engineers (US, France, Czech, China). It is cool when I get to travel (which doesn't happen very often lately). But conferencing with other time zones can get old fast.