HybridZ

Disappointing 1st time at the 1/4 mile.. blah

proxlamus©

Tonight was my first night ever going out to any sort of drag strip..

I had a chance to do 3 runs.. it was at Bandimere Speedway which is around 5,000 ft up in altitude..

Here are my specs :

stock un-touched F54 block P90 head

Schnieder cam .488 lift 260 duration

2mm headgasket

Holset HY35W turbocharger

MegaSquirt n Spark extra

Isuzu Diesal NPR intercooler

2.5" intercooler piping

4" downpipe 3" straight through exhuast

Tokico Illumina 5 way adjustable struts

Arizona Z car springs 205f/225r

205/60 front 225/60 rears - Yokohoma YK520 tires (26psi in the rear)

ACT Stage II clutch and pressure plate

Fidanza aluminum flywheel

Z32 transmission

Im assuming my shitty tires are to blame 5%.. but overall I SUCK at driving. Boost was 15psi (at 5,000 ft which is roughly 12psi at sea level)

I was expecting 13's maybe 12's.. but damn!!

60' - 2.468

330 - 6.386

1/8 - 9.472

MPH - 80.86

1000 - 12.037

E.T. - 14.204

MPH - 108.31

With such a high trap speed I was hoping to get more out... I dunno someone bench race me!! I would think the car would be much quicker!

I tried launching at 3,000 RPM and being nice to the clutch.. but I spin through 1st and also in 2nd. ugh. Shifting was done at 6,200 RPM

Thanks Bobby for filming me!

Your reaction time is um a little weak. Also based on your 60' time you are not getting any traction off the line (or not enough torque).

I am not sure what the compund is of those tires but try avoiding the water box. hard tires are bad enough, wet hard tires are worse.

My first time that I ever went was horrible, ran about .6 s slower than most people were with my mods. The 2nd time I went I lowered the tire pressure a bit and also had my nerves calm, and ran .4 s faster. The launch has a huge affect. I reduced my tire spin a lot, and only got better and more consistent. Next time take a little more pressure out of the tires, and try a couple of different launches, also go on the 2nd green.

Quick question, what technique were you using for your launch? Does not look like you were brake boosting/torquing, you have to hold it just before the car wants to lose control and keep going. Just slipping the clutch doesn't help your launch it just causes wheel spin.

(disclaimer: i know i made no sense, but it makes sense when i launch)

Your E.T. comes out to 13.3 @115.5 with elavation corrections. http://www.iroc-zpostforum.com/NHRACF.htm

Your trap speed and 60' explains it all.

You didn't mention your FD ratio or LSD or not. You can proabably take out 3 to 4 tenths (if your Lucky) off of your 60' with better rubber. But if your trying to take it seriously... Practice practice practice.

Idk about your tires but i would expect more from your set up. Mine is very similar i think and when i launch i go with left foot on clutch right foot toe on brake and heel on gas. Then I slip my clutch to load up my driveline. and when the third yellow comes on you nail the gas and sidestep the clutch. I would blame your tires but I ran a 13.67 on crappy michillen 195/70-14s that where hard and that was on my old set up. I find that if your having problems with your tires launch softer (but still quickly) and then when you have traction get into it more.

BTW why are you only running 15psi?? Your set up can handle more.

Ohya my best time with my current set up is 12.837 at 110.37mph and that was only running about 15-16psi cause my clutch was slipping at higher boost

Quick question, what technique were you using for your launch? Does not look like you were brake boosting/torquing, you have to hold it just before the car wants to lose control and keep going. Just slipping the clutch doesn't help your launch it just causes wheel spin.

(disclaimer: i know i made no sense, but it makes sense when i launch)

yeah, that did make no sense lol

the way I understand how to do it, is you have to hold the car some way (using the e-brake with the button taped down works good if you don't have a line lock) hold the car with the e-brake and get it staged. pre-load your clutch and bring the revs to probably around 3-4k. when you go, let go of the clutch and brake and EASE into the gas, don't hammer it. if you hammer it you'll spin the tires. if you bog, try using more revs, if you peel out, try using less.

I really shouldn't be talking though, my understanding of all this comes from listening to all my dad's drag racing friends during test and tune nights with their VW's haha

Idk about your tires but i would expect more from your set up. Mine is very similar i think and when i launch i go with left foot on clutch right foot toe on brake and heel on gas. Then I slip my clutch to load up my driveline. and when the third yellow comes on you nail the gas and sidestep the clutch. I would blame your tires but I ran a 13.67 on crappy michillen 195/70-14s that where hard and that was on my old set up. I find that if your having problems with your tires launch softer (but still quickly) and then when you have traction get into it more.

BTW why are you only running 15psi?? Your set up can handle more.

Ohya my best time with my current set up is 12.837 at 110.37mph and that was only running about 15-16psi cause my clutch was slipping at higher boost

Hey Jeff you also have to remember he is 5K ft above sea level..I bet with a good 60ft 1.7-1.8 that would net Ryan low 13's. Not bad at all man for your first time out.. Nice MPH.. what kind of AFR's are you at under boost/WOT and what is your timing? I remember my first time.. heh I was nervous.. heck.. I still get the butterflies.. heh..

Congrats for getting out there and having some fun. Now that the butterflies have settled :D you made 2 mistakes: thinking you could maximize the car's potential 1st time out and trying to run with small street tires. On the positive side, if you target 1.80 for your 60', the car has 13.2 potential. Factor in the altitude and getting quicker with more seat time and I would say you probably have a mid-12 car at sea-level.

What rpm's you hitting when you put it into 3rd? (and speed)

Looks like you crawled out of the hole before you got tracktion.

Did you have any problem shifting quickly due to tire spin?

Also, (even though I'm not a fan of autos), they help keep you in high boost all the way down the track.

When my friend steve ditched his muti-disk setup and went with an auto his dyno numbers suffered quite a bit, but his pass time decreased by about two secs. Fully dialed in he started running high 9's.

He is running m/t street slicks. (He was a novice at drag racing during this time, that is why the mention)

Just as a funny, more mods and now ran a like a 10.8 or so crossing the line a 55mph. Got kicked from the track. (new rules at the county track 11secs)

I am running an open 3.54 R180 from the '78 automatic drivetrain

Fuel > http://www.putfile.com/pic/7937112

Spark > http://www.putfile.com/pic/7937114

AFR's under boost remained from 11.2-12.3 AFR in all gears.. no detonating

In regards to shifting, I would would at 6,200 RPM

I just realized that my rear shocks were set to (3) out of 5 on the tokico illuminas.. which might have been too stiff!!

My launch consisted of a 3,000 RPM, no brake or clutch applied... light turned green and i feathered the clutch and throttle for an attempt of minimizing wheel-spin. My e-brake is temporarily disabled lol.. and I was too nervous to try to hold the foot brake and slip the clutch my first few runs.

3 runs.. with almost an hour and a half of waiting between each run in the staging lanes.. it sucked.