HybridZ

driveshaft hitting e brake on 240z?

z ya

When I took the z out on its first ride since the conversion as soon as I got on the throttle I heard a loud noise coming from under the e brake

area. I pulled over and checked it out and it turns out that I have hardly any clearence from

the driveshaft pinion flange and the e brake conrtols. First off, I know I need to stop the

axle wrap so it wont go up their but has anyone else had clearence problems with their 240's in

this area?

Yes I had the same problem when converting my 1971 240z. I had the strap off the top of the diff and it would come up under excelleration. Did you have a 180 in there? When I swapped I could not get strap to fit so I used cable and wrapped around strap mount and over diff to other side strap mount then back again. I did it four times and it has held up so far and Im pushing 450 hp. You can buy the cable and end link pieces at home depot, lowes. You will need to buy crimper if you do just keep the box and take it back after completing task... malebitchslap.gif

Good luck..zfan..Mike

I went out and bought 3ft of cable and the little u bolt things to tighten the cable. Well, first

off 3 feet is way to short and once you wrap the sucker a couple times I dont see how you can

Really get it tight? It see like it will still be

a little loose. Do you have any pics? How many

feet did you buy?

I would love to do the cable fix its just that I

barley get on my car and the driveshaft hits the e brake deal. I was thinking if I had any slop in

it it would still hit the e brake. How many feet

of cable did you use and how did you bind it down?

Any pics would be great!

We were having the same problem with the driveshaft hitting the e brake when mashing the pedel. We replaced the stock rubber front diff mount with a solid mount from MSA. No more clunks or driveshaft hitting the e brake. The solid mount did not increase the noise level in the car except for when in reverse. In reverse you can hear the gears meshing up.

Miles

i wouldnt recommend solid mount unless youre ready to do the whole thing solid, mustache bar and all, or you will break something viscious.

i already did, and am trying to fix as we speak.

oh, i used at least seven feet, i figured that too little amount is bad, and that too much could only be more safe, i used three ubolts to secure it and you do not want to see what it looks like under there! its pretty bad, but it works good and its ghetto. also, check that arrestor strap,

im gonna replace mine with nylon cable and a thick suspension techniques bumpstop in the mix too, also will be very ugly. im not the best engineer, but i keep the rubber spinning.

heres what happend to me.

nothing was wrong with any of my mounting

but i wanted to do some serious drivin

so i drop a solid mount in.

shook the crossmember up a little

welded it up

was ok for a bit

broke mustache bar and the xmember again

elded it again and strapped it

booom

bye bye crossmember in two parts.

but i do have a stick.