HybridZ

simple ecu question on turbo swap!!!

Guest p_tree244

Guest p_tree244

Hello, Just got done searching the site on turbo swaps, stickys ect. and I believe I found the answer in Bumblezees write up. I know that you can swap an '81 turbo l28 into a s30. Say if I have a complete 81 turbo donor car. Now it is an automatic tranny. the question I have is this: can I use the ecu from the auto 280zxt to work in my '77 manual z?

of course on my searches and list of things I always see "turbo ecu", but have yet to hear that a manual or auto tranny ecu would work for the swap or you cant use a auto tranny 280zxt ecu!!

I hope I am asking the question right!! thank you:roll:

yes you can put the auto ecu with a manual transmission. the main(only?) difference between a manual ecu and an automatic ecu is that when you go to shift gears...the rpm's will drop off faster. supposedly it makes your shifts not as smooth...but i have no experience with this. i have a 83 zxt that im pulling all turbo related parts, as well as other 'upgrade' parts...to put into my 280z. it has an automatic transmission, so i will be dealing with this same issue sometime next year...i just got done workin on the zxt overnight and my lamp broke, and spent like 3 hours fumbling around with a baby light...barely bein able to see is a PITA. but the motor is almost ready to be pulled, and i can get that busted up ugly car out of my grandmas driveway.

jeremy

• 2 weeks later...
Guest p_tree244

Thank you very much TonyD, you just boosted my confidence!!! I contacted my old landlord today ( to get my '81 zxt back) and Im in the process of tracking it down. It sucks trying to buy back what I gave away. But anyways my brain has been like a juggler but instead of bowling pins or balls im juggling in my head... megasquirt...z31ecu...stock turbo ecu....ect...ect...!! I am sure others have reached the point to make a choice!! I love this site because it makes me "think before I post" in that I dont want to end up in the "tool shed" so once again " thank you" tonyD for your "training" on "that other site" to prepare me for posting on this one!!!

Peter