HybridZ

Should I buy this Transmission? (need to make decision quick)

What should I do? (public vote)  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What should I do? (public vote)

• Buy it! Quick!
    • Don't buy it, look for another one..
    • It won't work for you, but buy it, and sell it to me at cost+shipping!
    • Offer him less....

I was helping my neighbor swap engines in his Datsun pickup, and his buddy brought over a 5 speed he thought he could use. It took two seconds of looking at it to tell it would never bolt up to his new 2.0L, but I'm considering buying it for my project L28 I have in the garage, but I haven't been Zing very long (i think i just made up a verb), so I'm not very good yet with what block goes with what head, what intake mani fits what, and... what tranny will bolt up.

So, the engine I pulled from a ZX (unknown year, but the block is not original anyway) at the local picknpull. (http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=137935 the first car in this thread is what i pulled from)

IMG_0540.jpg

the Head is a P79 and the block says F54. Was mated to an automatic.

IMG_0544.jpg

Engine appears to be a fresh rebuild too, so i got pretty lucky i think.

And so, the tranny...

says "L2" and has the number 4 on it. He says that a Z mechanic friend of his gave it to him long ago, in a running condition, for a project 240 he's never managed to get off the ground.

pics...

prelude and transmission 030.jpgprelude and transmission 031.jpg

prelude and transmission 032.jpgprelude and transmission 033.jpgprelude and transmission 034.jpg

so, he wants $100 for it, and I'm wondering if it will even work with my engine, if you guys think its worth as much in it's condition (rust, etc.), or what.

He's coming by this afternoon for my answer, so fast opinions would help alot!

Thanks in advance

Val

It looks like a 4speed from what little I could tell by the pictures. They have a plate that bolts over the top of the tailshaft housing forward of the shifter, whereas all the 5 speeds I've seen don't have that plate. I could be wrong (as proven many times on this site) but I think that's a 4 speed.

What are prices for 5 speeds in your local JY? I would verify if it is a 5 speed as well.

Normally I see them on Craigslist for closer to $200.

What is best method to verify without being able to actually shift it?

Thanks

Val

thanks for the advice, I'm about to go out to the garage and see if i can fab up something to shift with (maybe a bolt and flathead..?).

But other than that, I'm having a hard time finding information on our trannies in general, that's dumbed down enough for someone who knows nothing to start with.

I just don't understand what to look for, to identify a tranny that will work best with my motor.

I'll keep this updated, but if the guy drops by today, I guess so far, I'm going with a no.

Thanks

Val

I told him I didn't want it. Thanks to you guys that posted from saving me from a potential bad buy. I guess on that note, is there any one in the georgia , florida area wanting to sell a good condition 5 speed for my F54 block in about 6 months?

:icon43: