HybridZ

moved mustache bar, driveshaft too short!

fl327

hey just put my rear suspension back into car, i reversed the mustache bar into r200 position, and now the driveshaft is too short, jtr says its about 1 3/8s further now, has anyone had to lengthen their driveshaft because of this, and how much??

I did the same conversion and it was about 1 and 1/2" to be exact. Mine was a pain in the a--! After the first time like anything else it will be a sinch next time. Good luck!!

zfan..Mike cheers.gif

Guest Anonymous

Ummmm, could you clearify that, I have the R180 and want to put in the R200, I'd need a new drive shaft? That sucks.. I thought they were the same length or if anything have to shorten the driveshaft because of the bigger ring gear moving the pinion further forward a bit.... :mad:

Regards,

Lone

ok heres what happened, when i reversed the mustache bar, i also had to reverse the direction of the diff insulator (small side towards rear wide side towards front)( i did use the r200 later xmember, its thicker and i seam welded the crap out of it) to move the crossmember about an inch and a half forward so it would line up with the bolt holes and hold up the control arm fronts, then went to bolt up the flange, i pulled on the driveshaft and the yoke slipped out, i was pissed. but i figure its time for new ujoints and the money spend now is good insurance, and im a cheap ass. it looks like an inch and a half difference, ill get under there tommorow morning and take the measurement to be sure, and then im running the quarter and getting some mo fo'ing et's out this son b**tch.

Guest Anonymous

ok if your talking about an r200 swap you cant just turbo the mustache bar araouns you have to use an bar that came in a 280 with the r-200 in it. When i did mine everything bolted up fine and driveshaft worked great. I may be wrong but im pretty sure you cant reverse it rockon.gif

I have a simple solution, just use the 280Z instead of the 240Z and dont worry about having to change the R180. :D

280's rule woooooooohooooooooooo! (((especially $100 280's)))

Just kidding I know a lot of folks really prefer the 240 over the 280, just food for thought.

Hey doesn't it say in the JTR manual that the R180 is positioned slightly more forward than the R200? This would mean that if you changed it out for the R200 you would have a slight difference in the drive shaft length requirements wouldn't ya? huh huh wouldn't ya?? :confused:

Guest Anonymous

Cool, thanks for the info, that was my understanding, but I didn't want a 'surprise' when I found my aluminum driveshaft wouldn't fit anymore. That would bum me out plenty. Thanks guys.

Regards,

Lone

ok im getting scared now, heres what i got

i have a mustache bar from a r200 280z, originally had an r200 with that mustache bar but it was in the r180 slightly forward position, when i reversed the bar like jtr showed me, it started this chain reaction that ended up in me needing about 2.25 inches more driveshaft? it doesnt make any sense to me either.

i have a 1972 240z with that 327/350/m21 that wont quit, but the mounts do from some of this b_hand.gif this b_hand.gif and this b_hand.gif and a little of rockon.gif to make em all hail.gif:D

ill get it down. i would go 280z but smog here dont allow for it too easily. i could not see why it would be different, but in my case it is, and everything looks right and holds pretty solid, hey stony2- youre HYDRA huh.

I did the r200 swap in my '72. All I used was the mustache bar from a '78 280 and the diff. I used my halfshafts and driveshaft and front crossmember. Their are two r200 mustache bars from what I can tell. One runs in front of the uprights (on my parts '73 with r200 real similar to the original r180) and the one behind the uprights that came off the donor 280. Get the right mustache bar as that will save big hassles with the driveshaft and won't monkey with halfshaft joint angularity.

alright forget it, im gonna spin it(the bar right back the way i had to before), checked my halfshafts after years of punking them out constantly and dumping on them, and every ujoint is holding great, i havent had driveline vibration in three years of hard driving, i just didnt want to drop it again, but oh well here she goes.

Actually if you have a 70 or 71 you will be short 1 and 1/2". If you have a 72 you should be ok. I had a 71 and had to do a total swap.

Mike