HybridZ

NISSAN part # for turbo gasket..Wanted!

jerryb

Im trying to identify the Nissan part number for a gasket that would fit a NISSAN Garret T3 . Its for the 7 hole version as seen here.d7_1.JPG

I though it was a Z31 turbo but when I receved the gasket it only has 5 holes. Any idea which car its from?

The turbo cover has the waste gate installed in it rather than attached to the turbine housing.

It driving me crazy!!!!

Thanx...but I already contacted him, he cant help.

The picture in my original post was off his auction. It saved me some time...:D

This guy on ebay sells downpipe weld flanges specifically for the Nissan T3 turbos...he probably also has gaskets if you e-mail him. I bought a downpipe flange from him and it was good quality. mailto:mc_motorsports@hotmail.com

Nissan 7-bolt T3 downpipe weld flange on Ebay

jerry, have you checked to see if a standard 4 bolt gasket will work? it doesn't look like all 5 holes will line up, but if 3 of them do and the port is centered, then it should still work fine if you can get all 7 bolts in. might be easier/cheaper than going with a home made one.

aaron

Thanx aaron...I ran right down and tried a 4 hole and a 6 hole gasket ..happen to have both in a box...nope! Neither work:confused:

Hey I just realized I called to you late Friday.....welcome aboard!...and I did vist http://homemadeturbo.com/ cool site.

At this point Im considering having them laser cut at a local shop. If I cut up a 7 hole OEM

Thanx!down pipe and use the flange as a pattern....... but first I will try the part number below!

jerry, have you checked to see if a standard 4 bolt gasket will work? it doesn't look like all 5 holes will line up, but if 3 of them do and the port is centered, then it should still work fine if you can get all 7 bolts in. might be easier/cheaper than going with a home made one.

aaron

hey jerry, if this is the same turbo as the z31 T3, i was told by Jim at J&R / Monster Turbo / Garage Werx that it has no gasket. I think the T25 from the 88's came with a gasket, and that's the one I got in my kit. I ordered an 88 Gasket kit because the 87 gasket kit that my supplier had was for the non-W blocks.

That does not have the Internal WG though, so it does not look like it's the proper gasket. Do you know what car it's from?

Ok, I ran every car that has a turbo that has a model designation of 30, 31, 32, and found nothing of the sort. That includes A30's, C31's, Y31's, etc. etc. I even ran the S chassis cars and other cars that I knew around the Z31 time period that might have this turbo...

It may be a Nissan turbo, but the flange that gentlemen should not need a gasket. To prove what Jim told me (he's taken apart a dozen of the Nissan T3's, if not more), I checked all those cars. And only the Z31 was the turbo that did not have a part number for the gasket on the T3 model.

So it's highly possible that there IS NO gasket for this particular bolt setup. And that would kind of make sense, seeing as it's got 7 bolts to hold it nice and flat.

So it's highly possible that there IS NO gasket for this particular bolt setup. And that would kind of make sense, seeing as it's got 7 bolts to hold it nice and flat.

Im starting to believe this to be the case! I still may make a copper one for good measure.

Thanx Raff!

on the z31 the wastegate housing is part of the downpipe. The L28et uses that same pattern but the wastegate housing is separate, with a 4 bolt flange on the outside for the DP. I have never seen a gasket on the L28 turbo wastegate housing, so maybe you could just bolt them up metal to metal. I have never seen a issue from doing that.

Im just going to make a 30thou copper gasket and trust that this should fill in any irregularities that may have developed ober the years.

Thanx!

on the z31 the wastegate housing is part of the downpipe. The L28et uses that same pattern but the wastegate housing is separate, with a 4 bolt flange on the outside for the DP. I have never seen a gasket on the L28 turbo wastegate housing, so maybe you could just bolt them up metal to metal. I have never seen a issue from doing that.

Im just going to make a 30thou copper gasket and trust that this should fill in any irregularities that may have developed ober the years.

Thanx!

jerry jerry jerry.... no 30thou gasket, please.

save your dollars, and buy a 7 dollar tube of ULTRA COPPER PERMATEX GASKET.

I just used it on my turbo and so does my turbo rebuilder. He used the same stuff on a 1000hp corvette that he tuned last year and it hasn't had the turbos removed since and the exhaust does not leak through.

Infact, he gave me back my turbo with some of that stuff but told me not to carry it by the DownPipe because it was not bolted, just held to the turbo with copper seal. But we sat in the car and chatted about my turbo, and like an idiot, I did the opposite and grabbed it by the downpipe and I carried it all the way to the garage from the front of the house 100 feet, and the turbo separated less than 1mm from the dp when I finally put it down, and the copper seal extended itself and did not have any holes almost all the way around. So even when it's almost dry it has enough elasticity and temp resistance to be the right stuff. (NO. NO! don't go using Permatex "Right Stuff" now that I said that! LOL)

I ended up moving the turbo around throughout the night (and not learning from my mistakes and instruction cause i was hustlin' and bustlin' all around the garage), and it eventually separated to the point where I decided to remove the DP completely, let the stuff dry 100%, and then removed it with a scotch brite pad and some Brake Cleaner.

And I reapplied it and found out that he did not drill out one of the turbine housing bolts, perhaps because it broke off deep in there and he didn't see a bit of the bolt broken in there. But, I think this copper stuff is good enough, so I'm not worrying about it. It's very close to another bolt anyway, and it's at the waste gate side, so it most likely does not get as hot as the turbine wheel that is re-routing more of the exhaust than the waste gate flapper is.

The tube is gold, and it's called ultra copper. Very good stuff.

:D

And after looking at your bolt pattern, it DOES look like a z31 turbo. But it may be a Z31 racecar turbo that was in some form of nissan/nismo sponsored car.

It has the same bolt pattern as mine, it has a 3 digit RXX something code on the throat, and it look as if it's a race application. There were some cars with external waste gates, but I don't think they were Z31's.

OK.OK..OK...OK.....OK!!!! Nough said!!!! Off to get my weekly dose of Canadain Tire!

A quick note on that turbo...its very odd...I know its from a Z31 but the DP is not attached to the flapper flange. To your commets...could it be a JDM version of some kind?

Thanx Raf!

jerry jerry jerry.... no 30thou gasket, please.

save your dollars, and buy a 7 dollar tube of ULTRA COPPER PERMATEX GASKET.

:D

OK.OK..OK...OK.....OK!!!! Nough said!!!! Off to get my weekly dose of Canadain Tire!

A quick note on that turbo...its very odd...I know its from a Z31 but the DP is not attached to the flapper flange. To your commets...could it be a JDM version of some kind?

Thanx Raf!

That's what I was thinking. I checked a bit around on fast. Couldn't find any distinction. I think if I look for around on FAST some more, I could find a car with the same turbo (just look for no gasket in the parts dissection!) and then see if there's a wastegate on another part of the car's manifold system.

The stuff is pretty thick and it spreads out very very thin when compressed. I just used all new 8.8 M8x1.25 bolts from Lowes/HomeDepot, and I applied it to the turbine housing in about a 1/4 inch bead all around.

Let it sit for 20 minutes. Prepare the bolts and nuts with Copper Permatex Anti-Seize, and put the turbine housing in a fixture to hold it in stead, and then slowly work the downpipe onto the studs and press it down evenly. Have someone thread the two nuts on so that it is held.

The stuff will spill out the sides a lot if you put too much, and it might actually do the same on the inside at the turbine wheel. I think a bit of it got on my turbine wheel. I'm hoping it burns off because it's in the direct path of the heat, whereas the flange-squeezed portion is just acting as a thin sealing barrier.

We'll see how it goes, the Turbo is going back in the car tonight.

Raff

yeah, i like to smear it around with my finger nice and even, but about a 1/4" away from the turbine opening as it does spread out when bolted up. i don't wait, i bolt it up right away as i want it to set in the squeezed position. i ran two summers with it like that and no issues. i used it for all the joints between manifold, turbo, downpipe, wastegate and dump tube.