HybridZ

300ZX Turbo Coil On A L28E(T) - Pictorial - 15minutes

I first did this install almost 8years ago and I have received numerous emails over the years from people asking how to do it...so here it is! I have run this set-up flawlessly for the past 8years and continues to serve me on my fairly significant L28 L30 Turbo build.

It takes 15minutes, 16minutes if you are sipping a Heineken or beverage of choice.

No special tools needed.

300ZX Turbo coil still one of the best out there! $10 from your local Pick 'N' Pull, make sure and get the coil with the factory bracket and harness, if you do not have it, go back and get it!

This is the factory barrel coil, there is only one wire to it, a blue wire with a bullet connector labelled (1) in red and the factory "T" connector which is the signal to the Tach labelled (2) and has a rubber connnector over it. In this pic, you can see I already mounted the 300ZX Coil, how you mount it is strictly your preference and creativity.

340406728.jpg

All factory conenctions removed, the blue wire with the bullet connector and the "T" copnnector for the tach signal (has two wires, a blackwhite wire and a yellow wire).

340406734.jpg

You only need three wires from the 300ZX harness, labelled below:

(3) Splice on a Spade connector (black white wire)

(4) Splice on a a Spade connector (blue wire)

(5) This wire connects to the factory blue wire with the bullet connector, I made a wire with a bullet connector on one end and a spade connector at the other end (in case I wanted to go back to the stock coil, which I never would).

340406739.jpg

All connected:

(1) connects to (5)

(3) and (4) go into the factory T connector, match the blue wire to the yellow wire and the black and white wires to each other

340406723.jpg

If your Tach does not work, you mixed up your T connector wires.

15minutes, $10 no special tools and you have a nice hot modern spark!

Hope that helps. Now stop bothering me and sending me emails on how to do this...just kidding!! Glad to help out - anytime!

:)

Yasin

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks Alot, now I hope I can get spark with my turbo swap. Everything is hooked up right, but no sparky. I grabbed a coil from maxima its the same thing, but it has one extra black wire any idea what that one is for?

Also, I am following Asfins write up on installing a Z31 ecu and it says to run a wire from the pos side of the coil to pin 34 and a wire from the neg side to pin 3. What would I conect those to on this new style coil? Thanks!!!

I just noticed this post, very nice helpful info.. I have used this swap as well with success. I would like to point out that other coil ignitors can also be used if that one is not readily available. Lately I have been using a Nissan ignitor with 3 wires. They are found on many models.. Pathfinder, 240sx, Sentra, D20 truck, Access.. probably others as well. One wire goes to the ecu, one to the coil negative, and the last one is grounded.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...