HybridZ

LQ9 V8 serpentine setup

I just shredded a belt, as I would told it would.

Basically the serpentine system currently on my LQ9 leaves a lot to be desired. The water pump pulley is visibly shaky. When I picked it up I asked about it, and he said I would need LS1 accessories, and water pump.

But, I'm confused, as it looks like this water pump and an LS1 water pump are the same thing?

There is also a fabricated alternator bracket, and I think that may be out of alignment causing problems, but I'd like to get a solid setup so I don't have to worry about this issue.

What kind of a setup is needed to run the alternator and water pump, I do not want power steering or AC.

I'm not sure why this idler is mounted like this, it has a 1/4" steel plate/spacer attached to it, I really don't know whats going on here..

102408001vx6.jpg

• 11 months later...
Are you wanting to move the alt and the idler? My LS1 has the alt low on the pass side. If you need one, I have an extra waterpump but I don't know what that will buy you. Do you know if your setup is factory based?

Joe

Still got that Camaro LS1 water pump?

• Administrators

There are tree different OE belt depths, or belt offsets for the LSx accy drives, (GM refers to it as FEAD, Front Engine Accessory Drive). Truck was the furthest away from the engine. F-body and GTO are half-a-belt width in from that, and the Vette is an entire belt width in from that, (see pic of the crank dampers for the visual).

In short, you need to keep all of your pulleys and idlers matching including the crank damper, i.e. Vette damper with the Vette Alt and P/S bracketry and A/C bracketry and idlers, etc.

This link covers the accy drive differences much more in depth, as well as oil pans, water pumps, etc;

http://www.nookandtranny.com/Info_LSx.html

LSxBalancers.jpg

Hope that helps,

Paul

Edited by BRAAP

If it helps I have a corvett dampner and tensioner forsale also a brankd new stock camaro dampner... also have a comarow alternator bracket and alternator... I have spent so much on trying to get my belt situation to work I have bought way to many extra parts... let me know =) Ill sell them cheeper then ebay =) oh also I have corvett ac bracket and ac pump !

• Administrators
If it helps I have a corvett dampner and tensioner forsale also a brankd new stock camaro dampner... also have a comarow alternator bracket and alternator... I have spent so much on trying to get my belt situation to work I have bought way to many extra parts... let me know =) Ill sell them cheeper then ebay =) oh also I have corvett ac bracket and ac pump !

Great info. I'd been planning on putting an electric water pump on to simplify the situation, and then I'd only have to run a belt to the alternator.

I'll contact you "benitoz" when I figure something out.

Great info Braap.

Glad the info was of use.

I'd like to take a place in line behind MoNkEyT88 for the F-bod Alt and Alt mount. :wink: