HybridZ

Weatherstripping Questions

Guest NESS89

Anyone here replace their door weatherstripping with new stuff and have problems with doors being too tight and hard to open and close? Does anyone know how to fix this? I broke my door handle because the door was too tight. Need help, thanks.

is there any way you can move the door clasp closer to the inside of the car and further away from the door panel (outside).

that would put it closer to the pin that it has to latch onto, and reduce the tightness of the hold when clicked in.

2 or 3 millimeters should do it.

• 2 months later...

Hotrod magazine had a fix for this in the Jan 09' issue (part of their 101 tech tips article).

More or less, the fix was to remove the door panels, use a J Hook and run an adjustable tie down strap between the two doors. gradualy tighten the strap over a few days, untill the weatherstripping is broken in.

Kind of a lot of work, but I imagine it would work really well.

The other strategy is to do it in the hot days of summer and not late fall or winter. In warmer weather, the seals are more pliable and compress quicker and and stay compressed so they don't push out on the door so much. I did mine in late spring and it took only a couple days for the doors to close properly.

Dennis

My guess would be that you probably used the stiff door weatherstrip from Precision Parts Corp. This is a known problem with their gaskets but the factory ones work well.

So people have come up with off the shelf alternatives so please do a search as this subject has been covered before.

Hi,

I have the same problem with a weatherstrip kit from Black Dragon. Window rubber OK

but doors and hatch won't close. I found a decent 240 part out with good rubber and will be pulling new out and replacing with old. BD rubber does not even look close to orig.

I'll try to post pics. of the two.

CIMG3270_thumb.JPG

Guest NESS89
Hi,

I have the same problem with a weatherstrip kit from Black Dragon. Window rubber OK

but doors and hatch won't close. I found a decent 240 part out with good rubber and will be pulling new out and replacing with old. BD rubber does not even look close to orig.

I'll try to post pics. of the two.

yup thats the weatherstripping that i am usind, black dragon, and i already broke 3 door handles since i installed it, thats how tight it is. now i need to enter my car through the passanger side everytime.:mad:

I had MSA weatherstripping when I purchased the car. I had to slam the doors to close them. I was always scared the windows would blow off.

Then, I have been to the junkyard looking for some replacement from other cars. I found a car with thinner weatherstrip and no angle. I did not have to use glue neither since modern stuffs just need to be clamped. It looks much cleaner, doors are now really easy to open and to close. ;)

I would check sedans with "big" doors (=> Coupés): Cobalt, Neon, PT cruiser, Civic, etc.

The one I picked up the rubber from is a French vehicle not sold in the US (like any other French cars): Renault Twingo FYI

I will never ever ever every buy stuff from Black Dragon again. Everything that I bought from them is crap. my little window fuzzies are already falling apart, and the outer door window trim with the wiper isn't even close to fitting.

@&%$ those guys

Fastzcars recommended mcmaster part # 1120A731 to me. He said it works good, but I haven't tried it yet.

• 1 month later...

Yes, Acura Integra. I have no clue about the year model.

I would try the latest ones. Door weatherstrip could be straight with no beads or with only one to fit your Z (for the upper corner). Obviously it needs to be long enough, you can check that out by yourself prior to take a ride to the junkyard ;)

• 1 month later...

The MSA kit is made by Precision, which is the same stuff everyone sells. There was a difference between the 280Z kit and the 240Z kit, judging by the archives, with one having thicker or stiffer door rubber. At some point, they started selling just one kit. My guess is that it is the one they sell is the stiffer one.

Here is something interesting I came across a few days ago: I was looking in a old JC Whitney catalog and ran into one of their ads for weatherstripping. They showed cut-way views of the different patterns and it looks like there are more than a few that could be good for the Z. The main thing to do is go to a good junkyard and start pulling weatherstrip from a number of vehicles (newer is better), try to match up the Z's rubber, and go from there. Can you imagine finding good, soft, pliable rubber that would work for the doors?!? Yeah, I can't either.

Davy

• 3 weeks later...