HybridZ

tech9's L28ET turbo swap - 280z '77

tech9

This thread is mainly for my log, but is always going to be used as informational resource for the site.

1977 280z - Colorado car 100k miles on chassis

Has the stock L28, 5 speed trans (runs good, little oil burn from sloppy valves)

Parts I currently have:

L28ET from a junk yard with ~100k miles, complete engine minus turbo.

P90 head, stock cam

77 stock manifold, going to shave, remove egr, etc

240sx TB

supra 440cc injectors

stock 5 speed tranny (not t5)

hy35 turbo

Parts I need:

Custom injector rail

Aeromotive FPR

MSD fuel pump

felpro head gasket

ARP head studs

megasquirt (and all the rest of the goodies involved)

ford EDIS system

intercooler + piping (ebay?)

Parts I need soon:

T5 transmission

new flywheel?

better cam

brake upgrade

11-4-08 Engine should arrive Thursday.

Pics plus updates soon.

well well!!

Congrats on the new purchase!!

I'm a local colorado guy with virtually exact matching specs.

If you want to get an idea on how the car drives with the L28eT and new cam and HY35 let me know!! I can show ya my car and answer any questions for you!!

I happen to have a spare EDIS setup and a spare 225mm flywheel and 240mm flywheel if you need any parts I can hook ya up!!

As for the Aeromotive FPR you dont need it. Megasquirt will work fine with the factory FPR.

You don't need an MSD fuel pump.. I'm using the factory 1978 fuel pump and I am running 18psi.. no fuel issues with my 440cc injectors.

As for intercooler piping I have some spare pipes when I was moking up some pipes from a friend.. so most of the bends are taken care of.. I can weld them up for you.

A T5 transmission isn't necessary.. Big Phil eventually blew his stock 5-speed up but he was running like 25psi.. with 18psi I wasn't having any issues. Anymore power I would probably upgrade.. always safe. But not necessary.

Shoot me a PM and ill give ya some contact info =)

Geese, can you move down and be my neighbor in Florida? There is a nice 5 bed 3 car house right next to mine empty!

well well!!

Congrats on the new purchase!!

I'm a local colorado guy with virtually exact matching specs.

If you want to get an idea on how the car drives with the L28eT and new cam and HY35 let me know!! I can show ya my car and answer any questions for you!!

I happen to have a spare EDIS setup and a spare 225mm flywheel and 240mm flywheel if you need any parts I can hook ya up!!

As for the Aeromotive FPR you dont need it. Megasquirt will work fine with the factory FPR.

You don't need an MSD fuel pump.. I'm using the factory 1978 fuel pump and I am running 18psi.. no fuel issues with my 440cc injectors.

As for intercooler piping I have some spare pipes when I was moking up some pipes from a friend.. so most of the bends are taken care of.. I can weld them up for you.

A T5 transmission isn't necessary.. Big Phil eventually blew his stock 5-speed up but he was running like 25psi.. with 18psi I wasn't having any issues. Anymore power I would probably upgrade.. always safe. But not necessary.

Shoot me a PM and ill give ya some contact info =)

Received this today:

turbobo0.jpg

w600.png

Looks pretty clean, definitely has been sitting for years at the yard, by the look of the cam, etc.

Now from the looks of the head, it looks like solid lifters, I see people wanting solid, some wanting hydraulic, what do I want? Pressure washer did wonders on the oil covered engine.

I think someone pulled the head and maybe replaced the timing chain, after disassembling part of the motor, it looks pretty good inside, a little tarnish on the cam from sitting, but there was oil in the pan, so hopefully the bearings are good.

Is it worth upgrading the cam?

• 2 weeks later...
So I can run the stock tranny, stock flywheel?, stock FPR, stock fuel pump for now?

What does everyone think about flywheel/clutch upgrades?

What about the ebay intercoolers?

Yep.. stock transmission, stock flywheel, stock FPR and stock fuel pump!!

You can upgrade but its not necessary. In regards to the flywheel/clutch combo.. I'm very happy with my ACT setup, a lot of people on this board are running clutch masters and spec clutches.

ebay intercoolers are fine. tons of people are running the turbo xs ebay units and they haven't had any complaints. i'm running an old isuzu npr intercooler, I would love to upgrade personally to a $90 ebay unit lol